Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lime in potting soil mix

Posted by bkay2000 8a TX (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 30, 12 at 10:42

I have a recipe from this list that I got on the Hosta forum that calls for lime. I haven't been adding it.

As I understand it, lime makes for a more alkaline mix. Do I have this right?

Our water is alkaline, so wouldn't I want to skip the lime?

bkay

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lime in potting soil mix

Depends on several factors. First, you don't mention the components of the mix. If it's heavy on the bark and peat, the pH will be low. By way of example, I mixed up an 8:1:1:1 blend of pine bark, peat, turface and perlite and the pH tested out to 5.4. If the mix is comprised of ingredients with a closer-to-neutral natural pH, then you may not require lime.

Alkaline irrigation water will raise the pH over time, but it shouldn't be viewed as a substitute for lime when you wish to adjust your substrate pH in relatively short order.

o

This is the one I'm using for hosta:

3 parts pine bark fines
1 part sphagnum peat (not reed or sedge peat)
1-2 parts perlite
garden lime
controlled release fertilizer
micro-nutrient powder (substitute: small amount of good, composted manure

Thanks,

bkay

o

I'd definitely add the lime.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here