Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

What the 'gritty mix' did to my clivia plant, plus more. Pics

meyermike_1micha
13 years ago

The mix made them very robust and kept them very clean. I had to cut this one away from the mother plant and the mix just fell away. No pulling, having to soak, cutting, or ripping apart roots due to compaction from a bagged mix either. Oh I just love it. Pretty excited if you can't tell.

I have had this one growing in the mix for over a year and now it was time for a re-pot and to bring them out from the darkness of my cellar. Into a much bigger container that is. Able to water and fertilizer all year, frequently while they rested in barely any light.

I also planted a few clivia pups from other plants and a friend, and still need to re-pot a few more since the roots are just busting at the seams.

Thank you Al and for all those that made it possible for my plants to do better than what use to be average or even keep them alive. I love it, and having loads of fun watching how my plants react to the gritty mix over time!

Once you practice using this mix, 'everything' just does awesome in it!

{{gwi:9650}}

{{gwi:9651}}

{{gwi:9652}}

{{gwi:9653}}

{{gwi:9654}}

{{gwi:9655}}

A few more I need to re-pot and a few potted up already. Thank you:-)

{{gwi:9656}}

{{gwi:9657}}

{{gwi:9658}}

A couple of extra special plants of mine potted into the gritty mix!

A white Sans and Hoya doing very well.

{{gwi:9660}}

{{gwi:9662}}

Comments (27)

• Jessicasgrowincitrus
    13 years ago

Lookin' good Mike!

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

Great illustration and commentary, Mike! Outstanding job. A picture is worth a thousand .....

YPA

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Wow!! Look at them fat happy roots!
    As you mentioned, clean!
    When I redid my Amaryllis, I was amazed at how white the roots were!

Mike,
    It looks great! I always love seeing how others are doing! Love the post Mike!

Remember to come back when they bloom!
    JoJo

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    13 years ago

Great work, Mike. It's really helpful to see your photos. I know I'm going to love using this mix. I've already moved seven more clivias into it since my first one two weeks ago. I have a couple questions for you.

The components of your mix look larger than I've seen elsewhere, especially in the last clivia photo you posted. Is that an optical illusion, or was it intentional? I suspect clivias could take an even looser mix, but it seems that Al has always emphasized the importance of keeping the components around 1/8 inch to 3/16 inch.

My other question is about whether you add controlled release fertilizer to your mix and when you plan to start feeding them when you water.

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Ohio,
    I'm pretty sure I've read recently, if using fir bark, the pieces can be up to 1/4", due to the chunkyness of it, compared to the flat that pine bark tends to be. If i'm wrong, someone will let us know.;-)
    At least I hope, because I just got a bag of orchid/fir bark and it would help to know the sizes I can use. ;-)

Al, Josh, Mike.. Jodi.. anyone else who uses fir? ;-)

JoJo

• jodik_gw
    13 years ago

It doesn't get any better than this, Mike! Excellent work! Way to put that knowledge to work! :-)

Your Clivia plants are awesome!

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Wow Mike...all your plants look very happy and healthy! Great job as always :o)

I guess I need to look for a Clivia at HD,lol...

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Pug! Don't bother, I will send you one. There is always room for these since they can go in the dimly lit areas of any where in the yard or house! They take up no prime space.

Thank you everyone for your kind comments and as always encouragement and support.

Ohiofem: It is an optical illusion, or at least a fraction of the bark is a little bit bigger than the rest. I put a dime against it for you so you can see the majority of the bark is much smaller than the dime. In fact I could put a few pieces of it and fit them all on that dime. Most of the bark is of perfect size, and If I am correct, the one that Jojo is getting is just about the same. It is fine grade. Clivia don't mind sizes a bit bigger. If I wanted my pieces smaller, I would then screen out the larger sizes which is very rare though.

{{gwi:9665}}

Just an idea. I once got a bag of small grade in which I thought was to big for my mix, so I placed them in a plastic bag, and hammered the heck out of the bark which made it much smaller. I then strained out the dust.

I did not add any controlled release fertilizer. I water in fertilizer always on my next watering since my plants take very well to the mix and grow as soon as I switch to the mix. Besides, a 1/4 strength will just push right past the roots and out the bottom if my plants should they decide not to feed at any time.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks again my good friends and I will Jojo, post a pic as soon as some start to flower. Please watch for this. I have some rather hard to find colors and species from Japan, China, and a Doctor friend I met at the Clivia forum who is well known for rare clivia in California. I can't afford to take a cnace potting them in bagged mixes, so in the gritty they all go:0-)

I am proud of all of you and Ohiofem, keep up the good work.

You are all the best!

Mike

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

I am real tempted to run some of the real big pieces in the bag of pine bark through the blender tonight! LOL~
    This recent bag stinks, and I don't need all the big for mulch, have plenty. LOL!
    It's an old blender, probably due for a new one anyway. ;-)

JoJo

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

I'll prolly be able to hear the racket & pieces flying in MI. Lolol

Al

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

ROFL!!!!
    So did you Al? ;-) LOL!!!

The blender didn't work as well as I'd hoped. Tough old thing too!! lol..
    Hammer did pretty good. I wrapped the bark in an old rag. Good project for my son when he's complaining he's bored. lol...

JoJo

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    13 years ago

Hello Everyone...

Mike...your Clivia plant looks so healthy and happy..

The roots look great..the mix looks wonderful...and the rest of your pictures say it all... Congratulations!!!

Jojo...I think i heard you making your "bark smoothie" tonight!!! LOL... all the way here in VB!!! Hope you have some success!!!

Take care everyone...

Laura in VB

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Great job, Mike!
    Super helpful photo spread, yet again!

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey everyone!

Jojo..Way to funny...You could always try the "magic bullet". It's suppose to be the toughest machine to chop anything..lol
    Just provide a sledge hammer for your son, and he will have a good time doing it or whenever you are stressed out, you have a release valve..lol
    Fir bark smoothy..Hummmm

Hi Laura: Thank you, I think my plumerias will be just as healthy in that mix too! I can't wait! I just brought them out from the cellar yesterday and stuck them in the greenhouse. I can't wait to see if they push inflo's Keep your fingers crossed for me will you?:-)

Josh: I got the idea of posting many pictures from you. You have had such a great impact on me and many others I am sure of:-) Thank you.

Jodik! Now I now what you mean about how good your bulbs do in the mix. I can only imagine how healthy and white they are and next, how beautiful your flowers will be. Thank you. I hope all is ok with you and Larry. Mom sends everyone a hug, but a special one for you at this time.:-)

Al: You know your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you! Hope you slept well...

Hi Nancy: I just love love your Mango pics. I really need to get one and I would love your suggestion as to which one is sweeter and less pulpy while at the same time grows well in a container. Great work.

Have a great day all. I have to check up on my avocado seeds before I forget once again. I think the last time I remembered was almost 2 weeks ago..Oops!

Mike

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

LOL!
    You guys are funny!
    Laura, the smoothie didn't turn out all that great. Hubby complained about it being lumpy and tasting a little dusty! LOL! Oh well... I tired.
    Darn blender still works too! Was hoping for excuse to get a new one! lol! It's from the 80's when they made things to last. ;-)

Mike, I don't have the bullet yet. ;-)

Have a great day friends!
    JoJo

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

Having broken pots trying to get Clivia out to divide, I can see how much easier it will be in the gritty mix. In our climate they can be grown in the ground, but I still keep most of mine in containers outside. I notice your pots have a good taper a must with Clivia, gritty mix or not. Thanks for the great pictures. Al

• monet_g
    13 years ago

Great job, Mike. Loved the pics and love the roots in the gritty mix!
    Gail

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    13 years ago

Hello Everyone...

JoJo...

LOL...Next time just add a little whipping cream....that will do it!!! You all are way to funny.... : )

Hi Mike...Yes the Plumies will love the new mix...i am still waiting..i'll probably have to root prune...now to get up the nerve to get into those bound up roots...

I hope that you will see many inflos this summer..especially after repotting...they will flourish in the new mix...wait and see!!

Take care everyone...

Laura in VB

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello everyone.

Al: I wish I could just stick mine in the ground. I would love your weather.:-)

Hello Jojo, Monet, Laura and everyone on board! Just thought I would post a couple pictures of my recent flowers I took this am. It is Clivia season. Yahoo!
    Thank you all!

{{gwi:9667}}

{{gwi:9669}}

{{gwi:9670}}

{{gwi:9672}}

• Jessicasgrowincitrus
    13 years ago

WoW Mike! Love the color! Those are great! Congrats!

• jodik_gw
    13 years ago

They're beautiful, Mike! Nice detail in the closeups, too! It really is a lovely flower!

I can't wait for the weather to finally stabilize so I can get my Clivia and other plants outside for some much needed sunshine... which is the limiting factor at this time, because it's certainly not the medium they're in! :-)

It would be so nice to grow these and other tender plants right in the gardens... I'm a little jealous of Calistoga Al's climate! On the other hand... us northern folks can grow things that require a good cold dormancy, and these same plants wouldn't do so well in warmer climates. So, there is a trade off.

Have you thought of pollinating any of the flowers, Mike? I ask because I dabble in breeding Hippeastrums. It's a rather fun hobby!

• monet_g
    13 years ago

Yay, Mike - great blooms. This is the time of year us clivias lovers wait for.
    Gail

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Salmon or Peach? :-)
    So beautiful Mike! I do love the color! I just got Jace a daisy similar to that color.

Is that your only clivia, or can we look forward to more pictures. ;-)

Jodi, Gail, Laura, I hope yours are blooming soon too!
    I have an Amaryllis about to bloom, excited bout that. :)

Have a great day everyone!
    JoJo

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

THANKS everyone! I couldn't of done it without you. That is right. It was here and the friends that I have made that have made my growing experience better than I could ever imagine.

For me, it is fun to come here and show you the rewards to your great support and my effort to apply what I am learning here with the wealth of info.

Jojo: I am not sure.lol I do know that a Doctor that I met, and might I tell you a wonderful man, sent me rare Clivia this past fall, and I think there are Salmon and Peach in the mix. I can't wait to see what they bring me. They are all in the gritty mix, thanks to Al.
    I love the color too.

Laura: I can't wait to re-pot my plumerias into bigger pots into the gritty mix. I have a surprise for you very soon:-)))))

Jodik: Hello! I never gave it a thought to pollinate them. Hmmm. I would need someone to tell me how though. Thank you for your nice comments and I can include you as one that has made growing like this possible, year in and year out, everyday of the year!
    You are right. Light is a limiting factor and is such that they will double in size once they are outside. But I am glad that we can keep them in tip top shape all winter, while we wait for robust growth come soon! Looking forward to seeing your bulbs!:-)

Hey Jess! How's it going? Thanks for that. I am still here if you need me to help you with that citrus.:-) Good to see you.

Gail: You are so right, lol. It is that time of year you start to get a bit excited. I can't wait to see what yours do.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Hey, Mike, great flowers on your clivia!
    Thanks for posting!

Josh

• cindybell
    12 years ago

Hi Mike! Love your Clivia and all your other plants! I just seen this. I just bought my first Clivia plants and would love to know what is in it. Could you please give me some tips so I don't kill mine. I am keeping them indoors. What size pots do you use? On the bark could you use coconut husk bark? What is in your mix and what is the ratio? I planted mine in 1/2 succulent mix and 1/2 perlite. Please help!

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Cindy.

A little birdy told me about this thread and I had no idea you posted on it until just now.
    Thank you Jojo!

I use a gritty mix for all of mine since I can not afford an oppurtunity for them to rot, ever.

My mix consists of fir bark, turface or pumice, and granite chips known as crushed granite and or perlite.

You can substitute the turface for pumice or dry stall

You can substitute the granite for perlite

Mix the three together in equal parts and add gypsyum if you are not going to use a fertilizer with calcium and use Epsom salts. 1 tablespoon per gallon of mix

The pots I use are as big as I can lift them comfortably so I don't have to re-pot for a long time since their roots grow very rapidly if the plant is happy. Most are in 8 to 10 inch clay pots even if I start an a small young plant out.

I use fir bark instead of coco nut husk chips for personal reasons.

If you need anymore help, just let me know since I have been a bit lazy about visiting this thread thesed days. I hope this is a start for you;-)

Never let your plants get sun at all and watch your watering practices. The more open the mix is, the better.

Mike