Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ioldanach

1 year blueberries in containers

Ioldanach
13 years ago

I'm looking at getting some one year blueberry plants, 4-8" tall, and want to start them in containers for a couple of years so that I can manage them when they're still small and take a couple years to amend the soil they'll eventually land in.

I'm not sure how fast they'll need repotting, however. I'd like to start them off in 3.25" pots (I already happen to have plenty of these) right away and then move them in to gallon nursery containers for their second summer, and move them into the ground before they look root bound.

Does this plan make sense? Is there any point in putting them in a 3.25" pot (29 cu inch TLC P80 pots) or will they grow out of these too quickly? I'm hoping they'd still fit in those pots at the end of their first summer so I could easily move them into a somewhat protected area for their first winter.

I'm in Orange County, NY (downstate) but I'm on the northwest face of a mountain so while the region is classified zone 6, I use zone 5 because our spring snow melt is always a few weeks behind the rest of the area.

Comment (1)