Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_nevins

any suggestions for making balcony storage more attractive?

Lynn Nevins
12 years ago

I have a very small balcony where I need to keep some gardening supplies....potting soil, perlite, tools etc. Right now they are either in clear plastic boxes or else just sitting out in the open (the bag of perlite). I looked into garden storage boxes or seats with storage but they are all too big for my balcony. And storing this stuff indoors is also not an option...

So...what can I do to make my 'stuff' more attractive..or how can I integrate it so it looks nicer...more natural....? Maybe find some kind of a natural or burlap bag or rattan box or something to keep my soil/perlite in...something that would look more attractive than a green plastic bag with a Hartz label on it? And something that could also stand up to rain and snow and still look good and not rot? ;-)

Any ideas appreciated. My balcony has a white cement floor and black iron railngs so I'm trying to do whatever I can to soften the look as much as possible....

Comments (7)

• DaMonkey007
    12 years ago

I'm your man today Yippie, I've got all your answers!

I would suggest a pool box. One meant for storing supplies next to the pool. They come in all different shapes and sizes, many are quite attractive, and the sturdier ones will provide a bench seat as well.

You could also certainly build a wood one yourself. Your skill level will determine how nice it actually looks when finished, lol, but there's not too many things easier to build than a box with a hinged top.

PJ

• susan2010
    12 years ago

A storage bench? I have one similar to the one on the link below. It depends on the space you have. It's nice to have a place to sit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Storage Bench

• Lynn Nevins
    Original Author
    12 years ago

tx but...my balcony is 40" x 120" !!! ;-) so even the smallest storage seat will take up too much space.... I already have a cafe table and chairs and a BBQ grill (for use up on the rooftop...no room to store it indoors and not allowed to keep it up on the roof).

Right now all my gardening supplies are in stacked up boxes that are 5" x 11". So that's about the footprint I need to work with...just want something that looks nicer than clear plastic storage boxes with plastic bags of soil and perlite sitting on top! ;-)

• susan2010
    12 years ago

A wicker picnic basket? This is the kind of thing I used to go to Pier 1 for years ago when they were cheap and funky.

• DaMonkey007
    12 years ago

Take a trip to "The Container Store", they have all kinds of GREAT storage stuff. There's one on 6th Ave, and one at 58th & Lex.

PJ

• Lynn Nevins
    Original Author
    12 years ago

A wicker basket...that sounds like just the look I'd like...but do you think it could remain outdoors 24/7...stand up to rain and snow?

As for the Container Store, I do love that place but have never seen anything outdoorsy looking...the only thing that might stand up would be their plastic containers I'd imagine....though I did just find this which could look a bit more outdoorsy than plastic boxes...though I'm not so keen on the black rubber look...but I will keep it as a potential item too. So thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: container store

• susan2010
    12 years ago

Wicker would not last forever (unless you get something made of the faux wicker they make now), but you'd get a couple/few years out of it. Don't spend a lot so that it doesn't upset you when it's ended its useful life and you have to toss it.