Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
55 gal drum garden

Posted by washit3 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 18, 12 at 11:51

I am not planting a garden this year because I am sick all my hard work going to keep the deer nice and fat!
I am wondering about this http://bluebarrelgarden.weebly.com/
If I put these up on my high deck it would keep the deers out and I could still have a few home grown veggies.
I have access to lots of these drums, but have a few questions.
How do you know if the plastic is safe?
What is timothy?
Do I need to drill drain holes, and should I put gravel for drainage in the bottom?
Thanks for all your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 55 gal drum garden

First off GOOGLE timothy. Do not put rocks/gravel in the bottom, as this does absolutly nothing to help drainage.Yes,you need drainage holes .
Probably best to cut drums in half as this will give you two planters able to hold twenty gallons or so of potting mix each.
Or you could try these deer deterents. Hot
Pepper Wax used in conjunction with Coyote Urine seems to be the most effective. also Irish spring soap in the garden

Here is a link that might be useful: Timothy-grass

o
RE: 55 gal drum garden

Better calculate the total weight on your deck and determine it will not damage it over time. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here