Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

Tomato woes...

puglvr1
13 years ago

Hi everyone, I planted this tomato plant "husky cherry red" variety in an 18" pot . Its suppose to be a short, thick vine tomato plant recommended for containers or small area since its suppose to be short and stocky and not get too large...as you can see its grown nicely since I planted it on Feb. 16th. I seem to have several blooms...but yet to see any tiny fruits set? I've cut back on my fertilizer once I saw the flowers. Its been in the mid 80's here for at least two or three weeks now and doesn't seem to have any changes in the temps...do you think the fruits aren't setting because its too hot? I just a couple of days ago added a small shade cloth on top to shield some of the intense rays of the sun...but don't know if it would make any difference.

Any help from the tomato experts and semi experts are truly appreciated...Thanks!

Febreuary 16...right after I planted it.

{{gwi:9917}}
Taken today...several more blooms below where you can't see

{{gwi:9918}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Husky Cherry Red Tomato...from Bonnie's

Comments (18)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

You could try running your hands over the plants and blossoms, giving them a little shake here & there to stimulate pollen movement. Sometimes low or high night temps (below 55/above about 75) can inhibit pollination dispersal, which will cause the blossoms to abort.

Are they in a windy spot? If so, that can also affect pollination. Do watch the leaf color & only fertilize when you start to notice the leaves getting lighter. Changing to a 1:1:1 fertilizer or sticking with the 3:1:2 ratio with some added K would help you lighten up on the N w/o causing other deficiencies.

If that's the only plant giving you fits, you might consider nixing it next year. SunGold is the tastiest cherry I've grown and is a great performer in a container, though it would stretch out quite a bit more than your more compact variety.

Good luck, Nance. ;o)

Al

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Hey, Nancy!
    It's probably a result of temps...could just be a matter of time, too.

I grow SunGold as my container cherry every Summer....handles heat very well....
    although it seems to be prolific toward the end of Summer.
    but ware what Al says - it's a BIG plant! ;-)

Josh

• suddensam
    13 years ago

Patience,,,,,,,,,, todays the 20th of Mar, its only been stepped up for 32 days, looking at your plant I think its right on schedule. My vote would be to leave alone, looking at your plant I wouldnt fertilize for a week or so, not because its not setting fruit, but that plant has very rapid growth for 32 days in lg pot.

Plant em if you got em.
    Sam

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Al, Josh and Sam!!

I actually tried to find a SunGold...but I couldn't find it :o(...they might have sold out?

I will try that fertilizer schedule Al...thanks!

I will try and be a little more patient...its not one of my better virtues :o)

13 years ago

Sure thing, Nancy, you can do it! ;-)

I just checked my pics from the last two years.
    I plant in May, and I see fruit toward the end of July.
    Keep us posted!

Josh

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the research Josh...I guess I'm jumping the gun a little...since its only been 34 days since I planted it. I just checked the little tag it came with and it does say 65 days till maturity, so I'm halfway there. I'll update later...

• ykerzner
    13 years ago

Try touching the flowers together, if you're really desperate for fruit set. Funny, a month should be more than enough for flowers to start producing fruit. I'm growing Micro Tom Hybrid this year and it started setting fruit six weeks after seeding.

• jodik_gw
    13 years ago

You could pollinate using a small paintbrush if you really want to, but if you're growing them outdoors, the insects and the breeze should handle the task quite well without human intervention. I've never hand pollinated anything, unless it was for breeding purposes.

I think your plants look great!

It's only March... be patient! Patience is the gardener's best friend. :-)

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Jodi and Ykerzner...I'll let nature do the pollinating and if that doesn't do it I'll give it some human intervention :o)

I'm happy the plant looks healthy at least...I still think it might be the extreme heat so early this Spring. We're about 10 degrees above average for this time of year.

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Hi Nancy!
    Good to see you!

Your not alone! We've been about 10 over the norm right now too! Have had a few days in the 90's! Today is just horrible winds.

I agree with giving it some time. It may just be in a little sulk. I know tomato's slow down when temps get up, but I think it's too early for that.
    It's a beautiful plant! Good and full!
    I just put some very young ones in the 5-1-1. You can't beat it for maters. :-)

Josh, by May, our tomato's are exhausted and on vacation. ;-)
    I move mine to good dappled shade when it gets hot.

Jodi is right, patience is a Gardner's best friend, but also the hardest friend to make and keep! ;-)

Keep us updated. :-)
    Take care!
    JoJo

• jwahlton
    13 years ago

I love the Husky Cherry Red. For me they grow as huge as my other tomatoes. I haven't gotten any yet but that is on my list. I still have one going since the fall, although it looks horrible, it is still giving my fruit

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Jojo!! I know isn't horrible? If we're not complaining about the freeze its the heat we're complaining about. Can't we just get some inbetween weather...70's for highs and 50's for lows...is that too much to ask for Spring,lol...I'll try to keep working on "Patience" :o)

jwahlton, its my first time with Husky Cherry Red...can't wait to try them! Good luck with yours once you get one.

Guess What...while I was watering I found this one baby tomato!! So maybe I'll get some after all...keeping fingers crossed!
    {{gwi:9921}}

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for all your help and advise...I'm finding more tomatoes starting to appear now!

Special thanks to Al for the extra help I got off forum on my fertilizer schedule to use...seems to be paying off. Thanks Al!!

{{gwi:9923}}

{{gwi:9925}}

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

You know you're welcome, Nance! ..... always happy to help my buds.

YPA

• jwahlton
    13 years ago

There you go! Those are such sweet tomatoes. Most don't make it into the house!

13 years ago

I knew it would only be a matter of time!

Josh

• jodik_gw
    13 years ago

I second what Josh and Al said... keep the faith, and good growing! :-)

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks again everyone for the kind support and help.

Will post some pics when they're ripe...