Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
butterflybabe_gw

what size container for bush squash?

butterflybabe
15 years ago

Hi. I want to plant bush type squash in containers this year. Would an 18 gallon tote be big enough or too big? Thanks for the advise.

Comments (12)

• imstillatwork
    15 years ago

I'm trying to figure out if I can get 2 summer squash per 18gallon container. I'm not sure if bush types are the same size roots or not as these.

You should have no problem at all with one plant in 18 gallons (my guess - someone can correct me) - I might try to shoe-horn 2 in mine just to see...

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    15 years ago

After double-digging this past fall and seeing the extent of the squash and zucc roots, if I were to do this, anything less than an 18 gl is a non-starter.

Dan

• imstillatwork
    15 years ago

Good to know!

• bumble_doodle
    15 years ago

I grew eight ball zukes in 5 gallon buckets last year. This year I'm planning on trying some patty pan too.

• greengrass12
    15 years ago

Two should grow easily in 18 g. I got excellent results with 1 butterbush in a 5 g pail.

15 years ago

I got excellent results with 1 butterbush in a 5 g pail.

!

Was the plant smaller as a result? How did you keep from tipping?

Dan

• tomncath
    15 years ago

Hey Dan,

This past fall I grew zukes in 5 gallon nursery containers, three plants to a container, used upside down tomato cages so I could force the plants out away from each other. Production was excellent, gold rush and butterstick in Al's mix with nutricoat total triple 13 180 day CRF, and a weak shot of Foliage Pro 9-3-6 weekly for weeks 2-4. As usual with me, what you're seeing are my 5 gallon containers nested in 7 gallon bunkers to keep the soil cool.

Tom

{{gwi:10016}}

{{gwi:10019}}

15 years ago

Never saw anyone do that, and I get around. Maybe I need to get around to more places...

Thank you! I'm not sure the rest of the fam thanks you, as this will be one more container...

Dan

• butterflybabe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the help everyone. The pictures were great too!

• trungson
    14 years ago

Very nice photos Tom. I love your idea of turning the cage upside down to bring up the leaves. I'm planting zucchini into 5 gallon nursery pots as well but I don't have too many bigger pots to insulate them.
    Last year, I naively put them too close together so one can shade another but got the mildew spread too quickly to all of them and they died before producing much zukes.

Any other creative (and cheap) ideas to insulate the plastic pots from heating up during the day?

Son

• ribbit32004
    14 years ago

"Any other creative (and cheap) ideas to insulate the plastic pots from heating up during the day? "

Yup! I just slid mine into the shade of the house around 3:00 PM and slid them back the next morning.

I know it's not an option for everyone, but it sure was cheap. :)

• tomncath
    14 years ago

Hi Son, thanks. If you're retired or work from home Ribbit's way also works really well, morning sun, afternoon shade definitely helps....

Tom