Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jasminium Polyanthum in a container?

Posted by granburyflowergirl 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 25, 12 at 12:24

I bought this 1 gal jasmine on impulse because of the smell, after 2 days in the house it is clear this plant needs to be outside (smell= too much of a good thing indoors).

I can't seem to find much about what it likes only that it can get pretty big and grows up to 6" a day in spring. I think I would like to put it in one of my big pots on the patio to grow up my pergola.

Any thoughts on whether this plant will survive in a pot outdoors in North Central Texas? The location has Northwest exposure. The pot is about 30 gallons and is already filled with gritty mix thanks to last year's failed attempt to grow passion-vine there. (Passion-vine died from caterpillar consumption so I'm not worried about contaminated mix).

Thanks for any help!
Nik

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jasminium Polyanthum in a container?

I moved from zone 9 to zone 7 and brought a potted specimen with me. In the heat of summer it needs mostly shade, consider it a part shade plant. You could lose it to sun + heat or you could lose it to cold in the winter (I had mine on a covered porch - some animal finally killed it by peeing in the pot after 5 years). It probably won't grow that fast in the container. If your pergola spot has afternoon shade and you'd be willing to frost protect the plant from freezing weather - it will work. It's a delightful plant but much more tender than the plain white jasmine.

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog

o
RE: Jasminium Polyanthum in a container?

Thanks, the spot I had in mind is exposed to the hot Texas afternoon sun in the summer and the north wind in the winter so probably a bad idea...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here