Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Back again with tomato questions

Posted by rakin 7b (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 12:24

I am growing bush steak and Roma tomatoes. I had originally planned to pot the Roma's in 10 gallon pots and put the bushsteak in my raised garden. Right now they are all in 8" pots and looking great. But they will need to be transplanted before my raised bed will be ready for them. I have a 24"x19" container. I am calculating that to be a little over 35 gallons. (It once held a savannah holly, so it is pretty big). Anyway, how many of the bushsteaks can I realistically plant in this one container? They are suppose to only get about 24" high, but this is my first time with vegetables so I don't know how accurate that will be.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Back again with tomato questions

Need to know all 3 dimensions -- what's the depth?

o

Sorry, I wasn't clear. It is 24 " round and 19" deep.

o

Get yourself a big indeterminate variety like Sungold and a tall cage and you can have tomatoes all summer. Don't waste that big honking pot on a dinky determinate. Go big!

o

It is 24 " round and 19" deep.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

You can plant 3 bush type in that pot, each getting about 8 -10 gallons of soil per plant (depending how much you fill it) . That is plenty of soil. You will need to manage the top by staking. If you want to be VERY conservative, Plant 2 of them.(15 gallons per plant)

This post was edited by seysonn on Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 12:24

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here