Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
? re: initial fertilization w/ 5:1:1 mix

Posted by nolerad 7a (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 12:27

I am going with Al's 5:1:1 mix for my container vegetable (predominantly tomatoes) and herb garden this spring. I will be using Dynamite Select All-Purpose Indoor/Outdoor Fertilizer (15-5-9) as the initial SRF when transplanting to the containers. This will be supplemented during the season w/ Foliage-Pro and Pro-Tekt.

The Dynamite web site states the following: "For new plants and transplants, sprinkle Dynamite into the hole near the roots and then backfill." In a full 20 gal container and applying at the recommended rate of 1 Tbs/gallon of soil, this would result in a total fertilizer volume of 20 Tbs (1.25 cups).

This seems like an awful lot of fert to place so close to a fragile transplant. Would it be better to mix the Dynamite throughout the soil before digging the transplant hole? If so, would this mixing best be done after moistening the soil?

Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ? re: initial fertilization w/ 5:1:1 mix

So the tomatoes are in pots and the herbs are in the ground? I can't tell if you're talking about the ground or pots in your post. Can you clarify?

o

Oxboy555,

Everything will be in pots. Sizes will vary, with the largest approx. 20 gallons. Thanks.

o

Definitely mix the Dynamite throughout the soil before putting it in your pot. It would hurt roots if it was all clumped together like that.

o

1.25 cups in a 20 gal isn't excessive. Yes, mix it in well. No need to moisten first, but water well after you're all planted.

If you ever forget like I do sometimes to mix in the initial CRF application, then just sprinkle a little bit on top of the 5-1-1 surface in the pot and mix it into the first inch or two. Then remember to apply more in a couple of months as the weather heats up. Light and more frequent always preferred in pots over heavy and infrequent fertilizing.

Also, with 5-1-1, there isn't really a transplant hole and backfilling. That's why you confused me. You make a volcano in the pot, splay out the bare plant roots and lay radially on top of the volcano. Then you fill in carefully doing your best to get mix in amongst the roots. You'll understand once you get your first planting under your belt.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here