Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do I replenish my 5-1-1 with more gypsum/lime each year?

Posted by woohooman San Diego CA 10a (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 12:30

I'm making another small batch of modified 5-1-1 again to be added to my already 2 year old stuff. Was just wondering if I need to add more lime/gypsum to the old stuff?

Thanks.

Kevin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do I replenish my 5-1-1 with more gypsum/lime each year?

Same question here, except I was going to re-use my broccoli containers for peppers & eggplant once the broccoli bolts. Does the 5-1-1 need any replenishing of lime and/or CRF after 6-7 weeks of broccoli growing in it?

o

njitgrad: Since the CRF's are for 90 days, yes. Hopefully we can get the answer to the lime/gypsum soon. If I don't get an answer soon, I just may email Josh(Greenman28) tonight. Need to get going! LOL

Kevin

o

You might be able to just replenish with CRF....but you might want to add a little more Lime, or add the Gypsum (and then supplement with Epsom Salts when fertilizing throughout the season).

I have Citrus in modified 5-1-1, and I haven't refreshed the Lime for a couple years. Now I simply make sure to fertilize regularly, and I sprinkle more Osmocote into the top inch of bark every few months (4 - 6 months or so).

Josh

o

my CRF is supposed to last 9 months

o

LOL... Josh, quite the clairvoyant, I see!

Thanks, as always.

Njitgrad: that's some powerful CRF! What brand?

Kevin

o

Dynamite 15-5-9

o

Welcome! ;-)

Josh

o

NJ, that 9 mos figure is just marketing spin. Given the frequency we water 5-1-1/Gritty and the warm places a lot of us live in, 3-4 mos is more like it.

o

Kevin, MG has this Shake n Feed, with Calcium.(in lieu of Osmocote Plus ). Regardless of what it says, how long it lasts .. etc ..you can always top dress with it.

seysonn

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with MG and/or Scotts Companies. hehe

This post was edited by seysonn on Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 12:16

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here