Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aspiring_gw

A trellis inexpensive??

aspiring
18 years ago

Where can I get a trellis like this cheap?

http://www.gardeners.com/Terrazza-Arch-Trellis/default/33-314.prd

I want to do EXACTLY this by my back gate.

Im so glad I found this pic.

Here is a link that might be useful: container trellis for gate

Comments (6)

• mea2214
    18 years ago

I would suggest building your own. The trellis shown in that picture, IMHO, looks cheesy (aka tacky) and they want $99 which seems like a rip off. If you're handy with wood, some simple power tools, and paint or stain you can build a nice perigola to bridge an entrance for far less. Plus you can make it higher. 75" height is kind of short. I don't make any trellis or perigola less than 8' high.

• aspiring
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Found one - watcha think?

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&p=10441&cat=2,33286&ap=1

Here is a link that might be useful: garden arch

• sedum37
    18 years ago

If constructing your own, better than wood I would suggest the new PVC boards, such as Azek. They have the density of wood, look pretty much like wood and can be sawed, sanded etc. You could combine with vinyl lattice and composite specialty boards to make a nice trellis. Less maintenance in the long run.

Here is a link that might be useful: Azek

• mea2214
    18 years ago

For $44 that trellis seems acceptable. I like building my own garden things in that it provides me some satisfaction in that I can look at my handiwork all summer as the plants engulf it. I checked out that Azek site and it looks like it's all trim. Wood isn't bad for an outdoor project as long as you treat it with stain or a good oil based paint. I do find the painting to be the most time consuming of the entire project.

My perigolas reside on a rooftop and must be light. I use 2x2 posts with 3 1/2 inch wide slats. The perigola in the link below was treated with two coats of stain and two coats of polyurethane and it has lasted two winters with no visible wear at all. I'm building 3 more this spring and, if I get motivated, I might make a picture diary of the entire process. For the posts I split 2x4s in half with a table saw because long 2x4s are straighter than 2x2s bought in the store. I also split 1x8 pines into 2 to make the 3.5" slats. A table saw with a rip blade is very helpful in making these but you can buy the wood to size in the store.

BTW: This perigola, which is 8' high, 2' wide, and 6' long cost me about $50 in wood, stain, screws, glue, and polyurethane.

Here is a link that might be useful: My rooftop perigola

• little_dani
    18 years ago

We buy that $44 trellis at Big Lots for $10.

An agressive vine is going to eat it, just break it apart.

I agree with building your own. You could build a nice copper trellis for less than $44.00!

Just be careful about what you plant on your trellis. Mandevilla, Morning glory, passionvine will do o.k. on a trellis of this weight.

Wisteria, 'Mermaid' rose, and other garden bullies need a minimum of 4"x4" wood or 3" pipe welded, and set in the ground with concrete!

Janie

• texaspuddyprint
    18 years ago

I like using livestock fence panels. They usually come 52 inches wide by 16 feet long and are made of galvanized steel and run about $16. Since the wire gauge is about 1/4" you will need to use a dremmel saw or bolt cutters to cut them into a couple of strips and also to cut off the bottom "rung" from each end. Push the wire prongs that remain into the ground, arch it over and push the other end into the ground for stabilization.

There are a couple of photos of a livestock panel as well as an 18 inch wide arch on my member page (lots of photos - might take a while to load if you have a slow computer).

I also made a 'stairway' trellis out of livestock fence panels as well. My brother used his welder to bend the wire into the desired shape for me.

Since the livestock fence panel is silver in color it blends into the background when not in use. I've bought the cheap metal ones from CollectionsEtc and Big Lots and they rusted and fell apart before the year was out. I also bought one of those expensive ones but heck, when the vines get to growing they cover it up completely - you can't see the trellis underneath - a waste of beauty.

I have used livestock fence panels for years and the trellises are still in excellent shape. Sometimes when the morning glories die out I pull them out of the ground and lean them against the back fence...and wait for another year to come around.

~ Cat