Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My First Self Watering Container - Is it OK?

Posted by ehsteve (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 11, 12 at 12:54

I'm making myself a few self watering containers but am trying to avoid using plastics.

I've got a few glasses I don't use and a few broken terracotta pots. My aim is to use the glasses to create large(ish) voids in the base and then put broken terracotta pot pieces on top. I'm using a stainless steel sieve to make the wick.

I'm using several layers of burlap to cover the glasses/terracotta/wick to prevent soil from getting in there.

I drilled two weep holes just below the burlap level to allow drainage to prevent the water from filling too high. With the soil in the container the reservoir at the base held a bit over 1 gallon before water started coming out of the overflow holes.

Before I put together a few more of these I wanted to ask:

Is the reservoir large enough? A gallon seems like a fair bit of water. I'm planning on growing tomatoes and peppers.

Can I expect any problems with this setup? Is burlap OK? I understand it decomposes with time so have it layered pretty thick - I plan to find a more durable barrier for next year (or the one after, depending on how long the burlap lasts).

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Photo 1 - Glasses + Wick: Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Shot at 2012-03-11

Photo 2 - Terracotta pieces to help fill out the base area: Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Shot at 2012-03-11

Photo 3 - Burlap over base: Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Shot at 2012-03-11

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My First Self Watering Container - Is it OK?

Yea its fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here