Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
starofleviathan

Which Mix for Brugmansia?

starofleviathan
11 years ago

Greetings everyone :). I've been lurking around online here trying to garner as much info as possible in making my own soil mix for my 5 ft tall potted Brugmansia & am now more confused than ever ...

Have heard about Al's Gritty Mix & the 5:1:1 mix having spectacular results for most folks who have used it. My question is, does anyone know if I can use such for potted Brugs, & if so, which mix would be best for them? They were originally planted in a 50:50 mix of Jungle Growth & Perlite. I'd love to plant them in the ground but such is not possible considering the weather we get up here as well as the fact I don't have the time, nor energy, to dig them up every fall. These things are pigs & use a lot of food & water. During active growth, I usually find myself having to feed them twice a week & going through a gallon & a half of water every couple of days. I live on Long Island & Spring is just around the corner - but our Spring usually means temps in the 50's & 60's with cool, damp, rainy conditions for the first 2 months. My Brugs were moved indoors prior to Hurricane Sandy slapping us silly & only recently have some tips & branches been shriveling. I plan on feeding them Dyna-Gro & Pro-Tekt this year, so would I still have to add gypsum, etc to the 5:1:1 or Gritty Mix?

I am going to try repotting my Plumeria in the Gritty Mix once the temps warm up & I can safely leave them outside on the warm cement porch to help their root growth. Really looking forward to seeing the results with them since I always lose mine due to rot. P.S. Should I use a plastic or clay pot? They're in clay right now.

Normally I post on the Brugmansia forum but being I need info pertaining to the Gritty Mix & 5:1:1 Mix I thought it best to post here.

Comments (7)