Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which Mix for Brugmansia?

Posted by MissMudPuppy 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 12:58

Greetings everyone :). I've been lurking around online here trying to garner as much info as possible in making my own soil mix for my 5 ft tall potted Brugmansia & am now more confused than ever ...

Have heard about Al's Gritty Mix & the 5:1:1 mix having spectacular results for most folks who have used it. My question is, does anyone know if I can use such for potted Brugs, & if so, which mix would be best for them? They were originally planted in a 50:50 mix of Jungle Growth & Perlite. I'd love to plant them in the ground but such is not possible considering the weather we get up here as well as the fact I don't have the time, nor energy, to dig them up every fall. These things are pigs & use a lot of food & water. During active growth, I usually find myself having to feed them twice a week & going through a gallon & a half of water every couple of days. I live on Long Island & Spring is just around the corner - but our Spring usually means temps in the 50's & 60's with cool, damp, rainy conditions for the first 2 months. My Brugs were moved indoors prior to Hurricane Sandy slapping us silly & only recently have some tips & branches been shriveling. I plan on feeding them Dyna-Gro & Pro-Tekt this year, so would I still have to add gypsum, etc to the 5:1:1 or Gritty Mix?

I am going to try repotting my Plumeria in the Gritty Mix once the temps warm up & I can safely leave them outside on the warm cement porch to help their root growth. Really looking forward to seeing the results with them since I always lose mine due to rot. P.S. Should I use a plastic or clay pot? They're in clay right now.

Normally I post on the Brugmansia forum but being I need info pertaining to the Gritty Mix & 5:1:1 Mix I thought it best to post here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which Mix for Brugmansia?

I will be interested in what is said to your posting
Have seen Brugmansia growing in Turface . Wow they really do grow

o

diane_v_44: Ditto on being interested in what is said in regards to my query. I've been fascinated by Al's research into soil mediums & am now obsessed with getting my mix right, but I'm going to need help from some more experienced/knowledgeable gardeners concerning using this type of mix for my Brugs due to their rapid growth & voracious food/water requirements. I nicknamed mine the Pink Monsters because of how fast they grow!

o

I have my plumeria in the gritty mix, and have stopped the winter time loss to root rot, wonderful. My brugmansia do fine on my regular mix which is more like the 5-1-1. It is only the extra weight of the gritty mix that would be a problem with moving the large containers around, your brugs would love it. Al

o

Good morning Al :). Thank you kindly for the reply! Appreciate it! I'm excited to try my Plumies in the gritty mix.

My apologies but I'm afraid I'm a bit out of the loop here: what may I ask is your regular mix which is more like the 5-1-1?

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 17:46

When I grow brugs & datura, I use the 5:1:1 mix because ther root system is so vigorous they need root work every year. Plumerias really love the gritty mix.

Al

o

The 5:1:1 it is then for my Brugs - & the Gritty for the Plumies! Can't wait! Going to start rounding up the supplies & getting everything assembled. Will post before & after pics once I get the "kids" settled. Eternal gratitude Al. Have a great evening!

Ang

o

I've had my Brugs in gritty mix for over a year, and they do wonderful. The only issue, as noted, is they outgrow containers quickly, and gritty mix is heavy as you move to the 10+ gallon pots. But the roots love it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here