Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alternatives to Spagnum Peat Moss for Water Retention?

Posted by JakeDiamante 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 13:06

Hi Gardensters!

I am growing some bonsai and succulents (Ficus Palmeri, Pachypodiums, Adenium, Euphorbias, etc...) in containers. I have used a soilless mix with pine/fir bark and perlite/pumice. For water retention in the mix, I use Spagnum Peat. However, the problem with the peat is that it quickly becomes very dense. Also, it has a tendency to form channels and dry pockets when I water. If I lived in a more humid climate, I would prefer to use straight bark and pumice or perlite.

But it's very hot and dry here in the summertime, and on a summer afternoon, it would dry out a straight bark/grit mix in like a couple of hours. So I need some retention, but I just really dont like spagnum peat anymore. Is there such a thing as a large-particle-size water retention soil component??? Or any other type of water retention component suggestions? Tapla, you out there?! Haha

Thanks for any responses! Much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alternatives to Spagnum Peat Moss for Water Retention?

You could use bio char, a fancy name for small pieces of charcoal.

Here is a link that might be useful: biochar on GW

o

Peat is effectively replaced with any other small particle. Some folks use the fines (<1/16") which they've filtered out of their pine bark to replace peat as the "1" in 5:1:1. You could also use fines (<1/16") filtered from Turface. Others use a commercial potting mix like MiracleGrow...while it might not be nice as a potting mix per se, it's nicer to deal with than peat for your "1".

I've used MG in the past instead of peat and preferred it. This year I might try tiny bits of pine bark.

-Alex

o

i have never used straight peat, although I have used peat-based potting mixes as an ingredient in my 5-1-1. As an alternative, I've substituted Turface, Pumice, and red lava rock (Scoria) as gritty and durable ingredients that are also porous.

We get several weeks over 100F during the Summer, and I've never had an appropriately-sized container dry out in a day. The most I've ever watered has been every other day. Granted, I grow a lot of succulents, but I also have a variety of bonsai material (conifers, maples), as well as citrus, peppers, and many houseplants in these varying mixes.

Josh

o

How about calcined D.E. (Napa Oil Absorbent, for example) or turface? D.E. holds a lot of water, and, since it's similar in size, it could also replace the perlite. Perhaps a mix of just bark fines and D.E. in a ratio of something like 3:1 or 4:1?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here