Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Matching herbs to different sized pots

Posted by Fauxlivia 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 13:14

Hi,

Beginner gardener here, just waiting for spring weather to start so I can plant some herbs to grow in containers on my porch!

I plan to grow basil, mint, lemon balm, lavender, thyme, and sage from seed. I have a bunch of small pots of slightly different sizes, so I wanted to ask for some advice on which herbs to grow in which pot. These are the sizes:

6.75" diameter, 4.5" deep
6" diameter, 4.5" deep
6" diameter at top, 3" diameter at bottom, 5" deep
5" diameter, 4" deep
5" diameter, 3" deep
4.5" diameter, 4" deep

Any advice is much appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Matching herbs to different sized pots

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 18:32

Limit your soil selection to a soil you can water to beyond saturation - so at least 15-20% of the total volume of water you applied exits the drain, carrying accumulating salts with it, and you can use any size pot you like - the bigger the better. The larger the pot, the better the potential growth. It's not plant size or how large the root mass is that determines what size pot is appropriate, it's your choice of soils.

Let us know if that makes sense and want to learn more.

Al

o
RE: Matching herbs to different sized pots

The more important question is what type of 'soil' or mix are you using for the initial seeds, as well as for the seedlings as they grow and begin to leaf out? Keep in mind that once the thyme, lavender and sage get going, you ought to transplant them into Gritty mix (research it in this forum) and ensure plenty of sun. These three herbs like their soil on the fast draining/dry side so they won't thrive at all in anything overly wet/peaty/composty.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here