Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_355114

Anything you wanna talk about II

For just one sec, I wanna talk about God's sense of humor. When God was creating woman, He promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world - right?

OK - so then he went and made the world round!

Al

Happy spring to those already enjoying it; and happy almost spring for those still waiting on it.

A Haiku:

lone spring spruce bough, bent

wrathful, seething, March's wind

turned back on itself ~ Al

Comments (150)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hey, Mike! ;-)
    We finally have some beautiful weather...!
    My citrus and a select few Jades and other plants are soaking up the Sun!

Al, I have a question: we all know that egg-shells are pointless when added to containers.
    But lately I have seen the suggestion to "boil" the egg-shells and then to fertilize with the water.
    Does that make any chemical sense?

Josh

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

As noted in other threads, CaCO3, which represents about a 95% fraction of eggshells' composition is virtually insoluble in water at the pH levels favorable to plant growth. If it WAS soluble, it would drive pH upward and could antagonistically prevent adequate uptake of Mg and other nutrients.

As far as its solubility, CaCO3 (eggshells) are LESS soluble in hot water than in cold. For instance, eggshells are only 1/3 as soluble at 120* F. as they are at freezing (point of water). Reasoning through what we have seen, what I mentioned would account for the precipitation of CaCO3 that causes lime scale build-up in hot water pipes and on tea kettles.

Al

12 years ago

Thank you, Al!
    I was reading through the other Thread and having a hard time extracting the information.

Josh

Original Author
    12 years ago

Many people think that because a particular amendment you might add to your media contains an abundance of this or that essential element, that it is automatically a good thing to incorporate it into some vague plan, and you're bound to end up with a better plant for the added measure of any nutrient; but that isn't so. There is only 1 perfect ratio of nutrients to each other, and one perfect concentration of those nutrients IN that ratio. Adding a banana peel for extra K or eggshells for (what one might think is) extra Ca can only be a plus if those elements are actually in short supply. If they are not, they have no potential to be considered advantageous, only the potential to be limiting. This is the simple premise Liebig's Law of the Minimum is predicated upon.

If in fact there was a deficiency of (only) Ca in the soil, based on both the ratio of Ca to the other essential elements AND the presence of Ca overall, advocates of adding eggshells or other forms of CaCO3 might want to reconsider. You can add 1 lb of hydrated lime [calcium hydroxide/Ca(OH)2] to 5 gallons of water, agitate for 5 minutes, then allow the mix to settle over night before syphoning off the supernatant w/o disturbing the sediment. Add 8 oz of the supernatant per quart of water & water as usual.

Al

• mrlike2u
    12 years ago

What simple law applies to ensure the readers that an amount of water will approach the depths of a deep container ?

Gravity ?

Original Author
    12 years ago

... a keen grasp of the obvious at work, I'd venture to say. ;-) As long as we're hard on the trail of the undeniable, and at the risk of being accused of speaking in understatements, I'd add plenitude as a governing factor as well.

Al

• yucatan
    12 years ago

Al,

How do you state your case for chemical fertilizers when people blame chemical fert run-off as the reason for massive algae blooms that support invasive species population explosions, like Asian Carp in the Midwest. These are the same people that think abiding by organic methods all the time will help them live longer because 'chemicals' are not natural in nature.

I've always disliked the term 'chemical' fertilizer. I would rather see it replaced with inorganic, soluble, synthetic, or man-made. Most of these words have negative connotation, but chemical is the least attractive... especially when compared to the big 2012 buzzword "organic".

Original Author
    12 years ago

I generally try to use the terms 'soluble' or 'synthetic' when it comes to fertilizers like MG and others. My case would be primarily based on the fact that soluble synthetic fertilizers do a superlative job at what they're intended to do - supply nutrients to plants.

I don't use massive volumes of synthetic fertilizers that find their way into waterways and water supplies, and I'm guessing spreading manure is likely to generate a whole lot more N and P runoff than the small volumes of fertilizers I use. If someone wants to point their finger and yell 'irresponsible' I'm pretty much nonplussed, and I don't feel guilty. In my mind, I act responsibly, my conscience is clear, and I simply point to the fact that my priorities are arranged to place a higher premium on results than politics or ideology. Who better to arrange my priorities than me? ;-)

I approach things from the plant's perspective, so if someone wants to debate, they need to approach from that perspective as well. It's much easier and efficient, and there is a much greater degree of certainty insofar as what the plant is getting and when it's getting it when using soluble synthetic nutrients as opposed to relying on the break-down of soil amendments and organic fertilizers as the source of a plant's nutrition.

I think that when you're growing, it makes greatest sense to try to look at things from the plant's perspective - and they don't care where their nutrients come from, as long as they don't get too much or too little - also something easier controlled via soluble synthetics.

Still, I'm perfectly happy to make whatever allowances required to make room for those whose reasoning or value set won't allow them to use fertilizers like Miracle-Gro or Foliage-Pro. I think it's important in a forum setting to point out what I mentioned about soluble synthetic being easier and more efficient to use, so I do. People need to use their own value system to make their decisions, not someone else's.

I'm not here to judge people, but based on my own experience and what I know of the sciences, I'm not bashful about judging methodologies - especially those I've left behind in favor of something more productive. I'm not going to try to convince you your tomatoes or potatoes will taste better or grow so tall/heavy you'll need a crane to support them if you do XYZ. I'll tell you why I do what I do, and my perspective on the science that supports my actions; then, you can judge the merits of other arguments and make your own decisions. I don't care what you decide, only that you have the information you need to make an informed decision.

I think that part of my credibility comes from the idea that I almost always look at things from the plant's perspective. If I'm biased, it's a bias that favors methods that favor the plant, or a bias that favors facility of the grower's ability to reduce/eliminate factors that limit the plant, and not a bias born of something that arises from personal politics or a self-limiting ideology. Unless we're certain another methodology is a better course for the plant, eliminating soluble synthetics as a source of nutrients self-imposes limitations.

Al

Original Author
    12 years ago

There's no hope if this doesn't warm your soul.

Dance like no one's watching ...........

http://www.wimp.com/dancingjive/

(Copy/paste link to your browser)

Al

• greentiger87
    11 years ago

Al, a totally off topic question. Can you think of a reason why nearly all my plants respond dramatically to epsom salts? I have montmorillonite clay soil that is neutral-slightly alkaline at the surface, and trends towards alkaline as you go further down. Most of the property has a thick layer of bank sand put down by the construction company, and a thin layer of organic topsoil. Salinity is low. There's plenty of magnesium present, though its probably bound up in the clay. There's no logical reason I can think of for my plants to show magnesium deficiency, but they do!

Beautiful pictures like those make me contemplate getting into bonsai.. and then I'm reminded the incredible amount of patience it requires. I do grow some fast growing trees from seed (neem, moringa) though.

Btw, I've given up on making 5:1:1, though I make a lot of gritty mix nowadays. All the reliable, economical sources of small amounts of bagged, crushed (not shredded) pine bark have dried up here in Houston. I really need to get a truck.

Happy gardening everyone!

Original Author
    11 years ago

This is in the ground - right? The things I can think of right off the bat are low soil pH, a high Ca or K content in the soil, lots of manure use, or it's not Mg the plants need; rather, S.

Too bad about not being able to find the pine bark. Keep your eyes peeled, though.

Best luck.

Al

• nycgarden
    11 years ago

Hi Al,
    Not sure if you got the email I sent you via gardenweb about your own blog.

Thanks,
    Dan

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Dan! I'll be in touch soon.

Quickies that came in my mail today ......

Aspire to inspire before you expire.

My wife and I had words, But I didn't get to use mine.

Frustration is trying to find your glasses without your glasses.

Blessed are those who can give without remembering And take without forgetting.

The irony of life is that, by the time
    You're old enough to know your way
    Around, you're not going anywhere.

God made man before woman so as to give him time to think Of an answer for her first question.

I was always taught to respect my elders,
    But it keeps getting harder to find one.

Every morning is the dawn of a new error.

I dialed a number and got the following recording:

"I am not available right now, but
    Thank you for caring enough to call.
    I am making some changes in my life.
    Please leave a message after the
    Beep. If I do not return your call,
    You are one of the changes."

Al

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

Al, I've known you long enough to realize that your view is always firmly embedded in what's best for the plant in its particular situation, whether that's grown in a container or grown in the garden... and I've learned so very much about the difference therein. The basics of science and physics and vetted facts play such a large role in positive growing.

I've had the best success following your advice for anything I've grown in any type of container... and if I could sum it up in one sentence, it would be... Organic growing is best saved for the garden, while a more inorganic approach works best for those plants confined to container growth, because of the massive differences between the two.

In spite of our wacky early warming and on and off spring weather, I've decided to stick to the tried and true... which would be a frost cut-off date somewhere around May 10-15 for my own area... and that's when I'm going to plant my more tender vegetable crops.

If you could only see the size of the weeds I've been pulling out of the newer rose beds, I think you'd agree it's the perfect place to incorporate some vegetables. The roses are young yet, so there will be room for one more season of extra annuals before they take over and close in the space!

Well, that's all I have to say on this extremely early morning! Have a wonderful day! :-)

• greentiger87
    11 years ago

Thanks for the response Al! I've considered most of your suggestions before, but now that I've received some confirmation from an expert I'll be investigating each one more thoroughly. I may end up just getting another soil test with a more detailed analysis.

I rarely use anything but organic fertilizer in my actual garden, and water soluble fertilizers in containers. The thing I've always been wary about with organic fertilizers is the source of their ingredients. The alfalfa meal, soymeal, cornmeal, and even the chicken and cow manure... it's hard to imagine that all of these come from organic outfits themselves. So in a sense, we end up using chemical fertilizers by proxy, in many cases. Of course legumes like soy and alfalfa fix nitrogen, but I don't think they're completely unfertilized. Rock phosphate is stripmined. Bat guano is completely unsustainable. Manures are derived from meat industry livestock that eat conventionally grown feeds. Fishmeals are sometimes from farmed fish, and other times from unsustainable seafood fishing. Seaweed harvesting upsets the marine ecosystem. Even bark mulches can come from unsustainable sources.

I'll stop rambling now.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Darn it! Just when I was starting to LIKE container gardening ..... ;-)

Thanks, Jodi. Anywhere they'll grow is a perfect place to plant veggies. ;-) I'll put my maters in (pots) sometime between the 15th & Mem Day. Going on my yearly journey to Detroit next week to get some of the more difficult to find thrillers. That's always a fun time.

Take care.

Al

11 years ago

Hello, Jodi and Al! :-)

Al, have fun loading up on the essentials!
    ....that reminds me to pick up more Turface, Perlite, and Bark....

Josh

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! - I'd forgotten this thread.

Something that came in my email that is illustrative of how good the hearts of some are:

In the days when an ice cream sundae cost much less, a 10-year-old boy entered a hotel coffee shop and sat at a table.

A waitress put a glass of water in front of him.

"How much is an ice cream sundae?" he asked.

"Fifty cents," replied the waitress.

The little boy pulled his hand out of his pocket and studied the coins in it.

"Well, how much is a plain dish of ice cream?" he inquired.

By now more people were waiting for a table and the waitress was growing impatient..

"Thirty-five cents," she brusquely replied.

The little boy again counted his coins.

"I'll have the plain ice cream," he said.

The waitress brought the ice cream, put the bill on the table and walked away. The boy finished the ice cream, paid the cashier and left.

When the waitress came back, she began to cry as she wiped down the table. There, placed neatly beside the empty dish, were two nickels and five pennies......

Many years ago, when I worked as a volunteer at a hospital, I got to know a little girl named Liz who was suffering from a rare & serious disease. Her only chance of recovery appeared to be a blood transfusion from her 5-year old brother, who had miraculously survived the same disease and had developed the antibodies needed to combat the illness.

The doctor explained the situation to her little brother, and asked the little boy if he would be willing to give his blood to his sister.

I saw him hesitate for only a moment before taking a deep breath and saying, "Yes I'll do it if it will save her."

As the transfusion progressed, he lay in bed next to his sister and smiled, as we all did, seeing the color returning to her cheek.

Then his face grew pale and his smile faded.

He looked up at the doctor and asked with a trembling voice, "Will I start to die right away?"

Al

Original Author
    11 years ago

Any dancers out there? Got this in my mail from a GWer friend (Thanks, Viv!) .... had to share it with you guys. These kids are GREAT, and I've never seen this before. Enjoy!

Al

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Thanks Al!!

Loved watching these young dancers..

I only wish i could move like them... They were fantastic!!

So nice to see young men and women enjoying the ways of yesterday and truly enjoying themselves...

That young man could really move.. I couldn't keep my eyes from his feet! WOW!!

Thanks for the warm feeling that not all is lost in the younger generation...

Terrific Job to those two!!!

Bravo!!

Laura

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Thay are great!
    Not familiar with this dance...wow, watch his feet.
    Love dancing, did some ballroom many moons ago.

Rina

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Travelling by plane may be fun...

Kulula is a low-cost South-African airline that doesn't take itself too seriously. Check out their new livery! Plus, get a kick out of the comments at the end of the photos.
    {{gwi:10898}}{{gwi:10899}}{{gwi:10900}}{{gwi:10901}}{{gwi:10902}}{{gwi:10903}}{{gwi:10904}}

WHAT A PITY KULULA DOESN'T FLY INTERNATIONALLY - WE SHOULD SUPPORT THEM IF ONLY FOR THEIR HUMOUR - SO TYPICALLY SOUTH AFRICAN.

Kulula is an Airline with head office situated inJohannesburg. Kulula airline attendants make an effort to make the in-flight "safety lecture" and announcements a bit more entertaining.
    Here are some real examples that have been heard or reported:

On a Kulula flight, (there is no assigned seating, you just sit where you want) passengers were apparently having a hard time choosing, when a flight attendant announced,
    "People, people we're not picking out furniture here, find a seat and get in it !"
    ---o0o---

On another flight with a very "senior" flight attendant crew, the pilot said,
    "Ladies and gentlemen, we've reached cruising altitude and will be turning down the cabin lights. This is for your comfort and to enhance the appearance of your flight attendants."
    ----o0o---

On landing, the stewardess said,
    "Please be sure to take all of your belongings.. If you're going to leave anything, please make sure it 's something we'd like to have."
    ----o0o---

"There may be 50 ways to leave your lover, but there are only 4 ways out of this airplane."
    ---o0o---

"Thank you for flying Kulula. We hope you enjoyed giving us the business as much as we enjoyed taking you for a ride."
    ---o0o---

As the plane landed and was coming to a stop atDurbanAirport, a lone voice came over the loudspeaker:
    "Whoa, big fella. WHOA!"
    ---o0o--

After a particularly rough landing during thunderstorms in the Karoo, a flight attendant on a flight announced, "Please take care when opening the overhead compartments because, after a landing like that, sure as hell everything has shifted."
    ---o0o---

From a Kulula employee:
    "Welcome aboard Kulula 271 toPort Elizabeth. To operate your seat belt, insert the metal tab into the buckle, and pull tight. It works just like every other seat belt; and, if you don't know how to operate one, you probably shouldn't be out in public unsupervised."
    ---o0o---

"In the event of a sudden loss of cabin pressure, masks will descend from the ceiling. Stop screaming, grab the mask, and pull it over your face. If you have a small child traveling with you, secure your mask before assisting with theirs. If you are traveling with more than one small child, pick your favourite."
    ---o0o---

"Weather at our destination is 50 degrees with some broken clouds, but we'll try to have them fixed before we arrive. Thank you, and remember, nobody loves you, or your money, more than Kulula Airlines."
    ----o0o---

"Your seat cushions can be used for flotation; and in the event of an emergency water landing, please paddle to shore and take them with our compliments."
    ---o0o---

"As you exit the plane, make sure to gather all of your belongings. Anything left behind will be distributed evenly among the flight attendants. Please do not leave children or spouses.."
    ---o0o---

And from the pilot during his welcome message:
    "Kulula Airlines is pleased to announce that we have some of the best flight attendants in the industry. Unfortunately, none of them are on this flight!"
    ---o0o�

Heard on Kulula 255 just after a very hard landing inCape Town: The flight attendant came on the intercom and said,
    "That was quite a bump and I know what y'all are thinking. I'm here to tell you it wasn't the airline's fault, it wasn't the pilot's fault, it wasn't the flight attendant's fault, it was the asphalt."
    ---o0o�

Overheard on a Kulula flight into Cape Town, on a particularly windy and bumpy day: During the final approach, the Captain really had to fight it. After an extremely hard landing, the Flight Attendant said,
    "Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to The Mother City. Please remain in your seats with your seat belts fastened while the Captain taxis what's left of our airplane to the gate!"
    ---o0o�

Another flight attendant's comment on a less than perfect landing: "We ask you to please remain seated as Captain Kangaroo bounces us to the terminal."
    ---o0o�

An airline pilot wrote that on this particular flight he had hammered his ship into the runway really hard. The airline had a policy which required the first officer to stand at the door while the passengers exited, smile, and give them a "Thanks for flying our airline". He said that, in light of his bad landing, he had a hard time looking the passengers in the eye, thinking that someone would have a smart comment. Finally everyone had gotten off except for a little old lady walking with a cane. She said,
    "Sir, do you mind if I ask you a question?"
    "Why, no Ma'am," said the pilot. "What is it ?"
    The little old lady said,
    "Did we land, or were we shot down?"
    ---o0o�

After a real crusher of a landing in Johannesburg, the attendant came on with,
    "Ladies and Gentlemen, please remain in your seats until Captain Crash and the Crew have brought the aircraft to a screeching halt against the gate. And, once the tire smoke has cleared and the warning bells are silenced, we will open the door and you can pick your way through the wreckage to the terminal.."
    ---o0o�

Part of a flight attendant's arrival announcement:
    "We'd like to thank you folks for flying with us today; and, the next time you get the insane urge to go blasting through the skies in a pressurized metal tube, we hope you'll think of Kulula Airways."
    ---o0o�

Heard on a Kulula flight:
    "Ladies and gentlemen, if you wish to smoke, the smoking section on this airplane is on the wing.. If you can light 'em, you can smoke 'em."

• TheMasterGardener1
    11 years ago

That green paint is used to stop the metal from corroding during the building proccess of the plane. That is removed then painted with the desired paint when the plane is finished. They never painted the planes!?!? :)

Wow this air line is almost as big of a joke as jEt Bl(u)E. ;)

Original Author
    11 years ago

Lol - what say you, LJ?

Al

11 years ago

LOLOL...

I say, that those flight attendants have a great sence of humor.. We have all heard and witnessed things like that before.. Mostly a new story every week in my business.. : )

Probably should have wriiten a journal 17 years ago when i first started in the "friendly" skies...

Seeing women open their mouths and their dentures dropp on the floor.. Would you pick them up and hand them back? Well i did.. i have some napkins, i just smiled and she just said..thnkk you..

I had a three year old boy go into the bathroome and stay in there for st lest 5 minutes or so.. i went snd knocked on the door to see if he was alright.. he said in his cute little voice.. "yes, Mam" he finally came out and i could see why it took so long.. He had found the compartmnt of where the ladies items where kept for energencies.. Needless to say.. he walked down the isle back to mom with all sorts of sticky "surfboards" placed all over his clothes.. his mother was mortified.. everyone lsuged and i let her take them off and let her explin whst they were for... SO cute...

I will say that the the public can make me smile when they "leave their brains at the door.." I do love to help people and especially the elderly. They are the ones i watch out for most often, but some of the ones who dont fly much have the strangest questions i have ever heard...

I could go on and on... so i will just pass and be rest assured that tomorrow will be a new day to "smile.."

Sometimes i wish that i could say some of those things mentioned above on Rina's post, but my airline is so conservative that we have to be very careful in what we say and how we act... I did have someone give me a fit today.. they stuffed their bag so tightly into the overhead bin that it wouldnt close.. i couldnt get the bag out myself, so i asked whose bag was this? Noone answered.. i asked three times.. then someone decided to claim this bag.. i guess they thought the plane would be evacuated since their was a bag that noone would claim. I couldnt get it out myself and i had said three times, if it doenst fit, please put it under your seat. They were determined to get it in.. Well, i wasnt going to tear my shoulder apart, so i said in a nice way, that she would have to remove her bag and place it under her seat.. she said that "I" had to remove it and i said, "yes mam" it is your bag and you stuffed it in there and it is your turn to wrestle it out.. she called me rude.. lol.. I just laughed and walked away.. My shoulders have suffered enough with people who wont listen and will do what ever they can to place a large package in a little area ..just to say that they can do it.. Then i get to let them take it out.. "it doenst feel good on the shoulders does it?" LOL...

i witnessed Sully and his jet sitting in the water that day on the Hudson... we fly over from PHL to LGA.. quite a scence tha i will never forget... Score one for US AIrways! GO "SUlly"

Rina,

You had asked about that type of dancing.. It is called shagging and some will say that it started down in Myrtle Beach. Some will differ to say.. But it is a very common "souther dance down in the low country"

WOw... That's what i say Al!!! LOL.. So many stories of wonderful things that rruly touch our hearts.. I have seen families picking up loves ones at Dover Military Base to claim their sons and daughters... I have witnessed parents holding folderd flagss after burial at Arlinggton Narional Cenetary... I have wirnessed soliders coming home from the east with the biggest smiles and i announce that they are our pride and joy.. i give then all hugs and kisses and i cant even expalin how happy that simmple act makes them feel so special.. i asctully have the whole plane wish then well and geive he a round of applause to express how we feel about what they do and that they are back home.. Some of them i have seen at Mcdonalds just buying a one dollar hamberger, now i know that hey wouldnt just buy a 1 dollar hamburer. so i would o up to them and slip them a twenty under their hands ..so noone would see and i wuld day..."My son is in the 82nd Aibrorne ivision" If he was hungry, i woud hope so,eone woulf do this for him.. They would take te money under their hands and quicklu thank me as i walked ways with treay eyes and watch them go back to the Meds kline and orfer hat they really want. These kids have no money..

I wanted to say that my son in law came home yesterday from AFtganistn he will be here for his daughters birth next week, I am thrilled that my daughter will have him there to witness this great joy in there life..

OK.. ill stop.

Can u tell i love my job? Can u tell i love my military menm and women? YOu betcha!! The are all the best..

Thank you Rina for taking me off course and rambling about those things...lol.

Thee are tru to mu heart and i cant say enought about our soliders and their falilies,,, But the tories from the daily airlines do have a great way of keeping mme on my toes!!! : )
    Take care,

Laura

11 years ago

Hi Guys and Gals!!

Just reread my post from late last night...Sorry for the typos!!! LOL...

It was a long day and i was late (3 am) when i finally arrived home and settled in for the night. You all can see the typos, sorry for that.. I was really tired, but i wanted to respond to that post..

All good stuff in my opinion..

It is another good day.. Enoy it !! : )

Take Care,

Laura

Original Author
    11 years ago

Think nothing of it, L. We all knew what you meant.

At least no one changed all your words around on you, like someone I know might have, given the opportunity. ;-)

Al

11 years ago

Hi AL,

Thanks!!!

You are right, someone left the words as is.. LOL!!!

That is a good thing.. : )

Hope all is well with you and your family!!!

Take care,

Laura

Original Author
    11 years ago

The inside joke is, I'd been helping Laura with some plant issues and she had sent me an email she composed one night in the middle of the night after she returned from a trip, very tired. In my reply to her, I changed all her words around and added a few, so when she read my incredulous reply the next day, she thought that she had actually written all the crazzy stuff that were the changes I made to her original. It was a purely coincidental thing - if she hadn't been so tired, she would have known the words weren't hers, but since she WAS so beat, she thought she'd really written everything she was reading. Anyway - that's the inside line and it was a hoot. I used to do it to my SIL all the time - little changes - & it drove her nutts until she finally caught on.

Al

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

Small riddle :
    What did the Wig Wam say to the Tee Pee ?

We're two tents.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Smaller poem. It's about fleas -

Adam
    Had 'em.

Al

Original Author
    11 years ago

Today:

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

What a great photo, Al.

I snapped one two days ago sitting on my son's hand - we went to look at some property for sale, there were quite a few flying around.

My photo is not that good, at least mantis is clear.

Original Author
    11 years ago

A master of disguise, too .... looks like an ambush waiting to happen.

Al

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

LOl..I love the jokes and teh stories! Laura, do you remember the one you told me about when we had breakfast?
    You know, about the plastic bag or something like that that they pulled on another stewardess?

By the way, I'll admit, I am a dancer! I LOVE to dance and many say I have the moves like a professional. I particularly excall at Sambd, Merege, and Salsa...Better than at writing words..lol

Oh, and as for the Mantis, how in the world do you find them hiding like that? The last time I ever saw a LIVE one, is when I bought eggs years back and watched them hatch. I have not seen one ever since then or before. You guys could be so lucky!

Mike

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

Mishaps with Photobucket re-size problem

{{gwi:10905}}

Olea Arbequnia: In yours when repotted during winter do you think I should sink it to the lower cut off.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Movement in the trunk(line) creates interest, so I'd have the wire wrapped around the trunk, instead of the stake, and I'd use the wire to make some gentle bends in the trunk - wouldn't change the planting depth. I would clean up that little stub where the branch was pruned just above the soil line so it can eventually heal over - it's ok to cut it flush. I would also get rid of the oxalis growing in the pot today, or at least before it seeds out. If it was my tree, I think I'd want to shorten it come spring, but that's just me - if you prefer a standard .......

Al

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Mike

My favoured dances! plus tango...

Al

That is a great shot. How did you even notice that Mantis, they really are masters of disguise. (Went back to the property with my daughter & her 2 kids. You should see my 4 yr old granddaughter running after them. I didn't see any, she spotted them hiding everywhere.)
    Rina

Original Author
    11 years ago

She was on top of the planting when I was about to water, so I went for the camera. After a couple of minutes annoying the creature with the too near proximity of me & the camera, it retreated deeper into the plant. I really had no idea how closely the little bugger resembles the burgundy-edged begonia leaves - too busy with the camera.

I'm not sure how I spot things like that. I just know that my eye is really tuned to nature & animals. I'm usually always the first to see animals at a distance, or pick things related to nature out of the landscape before anyone else sees them. My take is, it comes from having always been a keen hunter and lover/appreciator of the natural world. I also count my ability to love and appreciate nature as one of my greatest blessings - always have been captivated by what lives around us.

Al

11 years ago

Hi Guys and Gals!!!

I wanted to share some of my "Plumeria Protectors" with you!!! Hope you like them.. I think they are so cute!! : )

{{gwi:10906}}
    {{gwi:10907}}
    {{gwi:10908}}
    {{gwi:10909}}
    {{gwi:10910}}
    {{gwi:10911}}

Hi Mike!!! Lots of good stories..LOL!!!

Take Care,

Laura

Original Author
    11 years ago

Cool pics. You KNOW I love the frogs. ;-)

Al

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Laura

Great photos, love that one with dragonfly. And other creatures look like they like it there too - who wouldn't? Being around your beautiful plumerias...even the buds are georgeous. Rina

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Hey Laura! Not sure if your cell is working, but I did text you yesterday. Hope you are well:-)))) Hugs!

By the way, where in the world does that bullfrog live? In the pool? I love bullfrogs! I also have a LOVE for frogs too as Al does. I now have 5 bull frogs all trying to claim their space in my small pond.lol

Rina...Dance away! Love that Latin music, since I am Latin! I once won a salsa contest on the beach in Puerto Rico and played in a band at a 5 start resort and a millionaires convention. Got lots of tips then.lol

Mike

11 years ago

Hey, everyone! Mike, Al, Laura, Jodi, Wes, Rina!
    There are some great pics here. Al, love that Mantis that appears to be grooming the plant ;-)
    I noticed this little garden helper on the edge of my Chocolate Habanero container yesterday....

11 years ago

Hi Everyone,

looks like this thread will roll over soon!

Way to go AL!!! : )

I also LOVE those frogs, they are so cute .... Thanks for the kind words from those cute little guys!!! I just love them...They keep the slugs away from my trees and the lizards keep a close watch as well. That is a great "protector" in my eyes!!! : )

Hi Rina... Thank you!! I do love all of the little critters that like to visit my yard. I aslo have butterflies and Hummingbirds too! I swear they act like they want me to make new sugar water everytime i come outside. I really think they know i will do that when they start swarming me and talking.. They are really precious.

Hey Mike,

My Bull frog lives in the pond most of the year, but in the summer when the water it to hot for him, he decides to take the large pool..lol I se him jump in when i come outside at night to check on the trees. He has finally decided that he likes me now, and wont jump off into the pool. My DH checks in the am to see if he is in the skimmers and he is gone. He is so strong that he can get into the corner and pull himself right out of the pool.

He is to funny. I just love these guys.. i named him my 'little Prince' hopefully he wont be kissing anyone, so he can stay as he is and keep eating the slugs from my Plumeria.

My cell has been acting up and i finally had to say goodbye to it... :( I really likes that one becauses i was so comfortable with it, but it was time for an upgrade. Now, i trying to figure out how to work this new cell..LOL I did receive your text, but i have been so busy at work, and when im done it is to late to respond. I will tomorrow. How are your frogs? I wonder where mine will stay this winter?

Hi Josh!! Love your cute little tree frog too! How cool is that? Does he stay around or is he only here and there? My Bullfrog comes out every evening around the same time and hangs around the same tree, LOL..I think he like the containers with Gritty Mix too! Must be the feel of the mix and the heat that is still around for him in the late evening...

Take good care all..

AL, Since you like frogs so much.. Here are a few more pics for you!!

Good night !!!

Laura

{{gwi:10912}}
    loving the Gritty Mix..lol
    {{gwi:10913}}
    {{gwi:10914}}
    {{gwi:10915}}

He just sits and stares at my trees for any tasty treats that may crawl his way.. it is just to funny!!!

Take care,

Laura

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Not potted, not houseplants - but I think there is some pruning involved...

{{gwi:10916}}{{gwi:10917}}

{{gwi:10918}}{{gwi:10919}}{{gwi:10920}}

Rina

Original Author
    11 years ago

Neat pics - thanks for sharing them w/us!

A wife comes home late one night, arriving early from being out of town and quietly opens the door to her bedroom. From under the blanket she sees four legs instead of two. She reaches for a baseball bat and starts beating the blanket as hard as she can. Once she's done, she marches to the kitchen to fix a drink. As she enters, she sees her husband there, calmly reading a magazine.

"Hi, Darling", he says, "Your parents decided to fly in and surprise you when you got back, so I picked them up at the airport this afternoon and set them up in our room."

Al

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

That is funny, Al...
    (and you come with jokes like that at 2:45 am?)
    Rina

11 years ago

LOL...

Good one!!!

Almost ready to turn it over...

Early bird!!! : )

Laura

Original Author
    11 years ago

Lol - some one sent it to me, but I revised it just a little, to maximise the impact. ;-)

I fell asleep much earlier than usual that evening, so I ended up wide awake in the middle of the night. I didn't feel like reading, so I figured I'd see if there was anything I could contribute to GW. There wasn't, so I thought a joke or funny story might be the next best thing ..... and you know the rest. ;-)

Al