Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
are my 5-1-1- pines fines a bit too fine?

Posted by njitgrad 6A/6B New Jersey (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 13:40

Per recommendations from others in various threads I decided to screen my first of four bags of Agway pine mulch prior to making my first batch of 5-1-1.

I used a 1/4" screen and when all was said and done (1/2 hour later) , about 1/3 of the mulch made it through the screen, leaving me wondering what to do with the remaining 2/3 (other than using it in my landscaping).

See the pics below taken before and after the screening process. Does 1/4" screening give me something that's a little bit too fine, or is this what its supposed to be like? If it's the latter, then it's going to cost me some serious paper to fill all of my containers.

Could I perhaps replaced the "5" in the 5-1-1 with "4 parts screened, 1 part un-screened" to at least make some use of the remainder?

Any suggestions for a first-time 5-1-1 mixer are appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: are my 5-1-1- pines fines a bit too fine?

Your 1/4" screened product looks good. That said, you can "bulk" it up by running some of those bigger chunks through some 1/2" screen to add back into the 5-1-1. This way you're not wasting so much...(by 'wasting' I mean not using it for its intended 5-1-1 purpose...I still use 1/2" plus size chunks all the time for various secondary applications such as mulch, helping to build up low topsoil sp ots out in the yard, composting, donate it to schools/bio classes for their reptile tanks, etc). Getting only 1/3 usable material out of a bag, no matter how cheap the bag, is not good bang for your buck (and time/effort spend sifting), so you need to find a use for some of that extra 2/3.

Aside, but related -- if you ever want to make Gritty, your 1/4" stuff is the perfect bark ingredient for that mix minus any dusty fines.

o

Thanks for the advice. I knew I should have bought the 1/2" screen when I got my sifter a couple years ago. Looks like I'll have to make my own 1/2" sifter now. It should be pretty easy to make a DIY sifter now that I have the exact dimensions I need from the sifter I purchased.

o

If you want to stay at the <1/4 mark, you can just crash the bigger pieces.

o

That is some beautiful bark.....
I bet it smells great.

Josh

o

Well, 1/4" probably is fine to use but most of what did not make it through the sift seems to be still usable for potting mix. You can make your own 1/2" sift from wire clothe . Nothing to it . Make a frame from, say, 2 by 3 and fasten the wire cloth to one face of it.

I would use the bigger piece as filler at the bottom of container, for better drainage from the bottom

o

No, don't put differently sized material at the bottom of the container - that will impede drainage. Better to incorporate the larger material evenly throughout the mix.

Josh

o

My thoughts too, Josh!!

Nice looking ...

Great find!!!!

Laura

o

Last night I ended up making my own identical 1/2" screening frame which cost about $20 in materials and about an hour's worth of time to make.

This morning I re-screened the leftover from the other day using the 1/2" screen and was far more pleased with the results. Rather than only yielding 33% of the bag as usable, I now yielded at least 80% use.

What was left was tossed into my landscaping. I then used a shovel to thoroughly mixed the fine 1/4" screened material from the other day with the newly screen 1/2" mix. Since the former was still in my wheel barrow it was easy to mix it pretty uniformly.

I guess I'm set to go!

o

Good work!

Josh

o

Way to go, njitgrad,

Your original UNSIFTED bark looked pretty nice. Now we know it just had about 20% bigger than 1/2".

If Josh speaks against using those big pieces at the bottom, How about on the top, AS MULCH ?

o

Yes! The big pieces make a nice top mulch, indeed.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here