Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dee_p_gw

Help with recovering my garden

Dee.P
10 years ago

Hey everybody! I could really use your help on something - I recently lost a lot of my plants to fungus gnats & Aphids so now, after "cleaning house" i want to plant new ones but i want to be smart about it... What kind of herbs/vegetables/flowers do you think i should plant considering my garden is a balcony in Palo alto California?
THANK YOU

Comments (6)

• christine1950
    10 years ago

Post this on the Balcony forum, you should get help over there.

• Dee.P
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i DID.... so fur nothing... :(

• HeyJude2012
    10 years ago

Hi Dee! Personally I think you should plant what makes you happy as long as you have the room and the sunshine. I have a patio garden. This is my third year so I'm not an expert by any means. You should think of what gives you the best bang for your buck. Fresh tomatoes make me happy for sure and I like to cook with fresh oregano and basil so those are the things I make sure I have. If space is an issue, make sure you're planting stuff that doesn't get too big. You would probably want a determinate variety of tomato. they dont get as big. There is a dwarf zucchini that is delicious. I got my seeds from Bakers seeds. Green onions are great to have fresh. Next time you buy a bunch, cut off the bottom bulbs and put them in water. They will start to grow roots and you just plant those. You can grow lemongrass the same way. If you have the space, a dwarf citrus might be fun. Flower choice depends on your sun. Geraniums are pretty hardy and give lots of color. I hope this helps you a little.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Strawberries, some type of cherry tomato, and lots of herbs....pretty much any kind of herb. Get yourself a good sized tub, a large container, and a decent soil mix for your tomato....it will grow huge and give you tomatoes well into October/November.

Josh

• Dee.P
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thank you both! are all the plants you mention in season right now?

• HeyJude2012
    10 years ago

Hi Dee...yes, now is the time the nurseries have strawberries and tomatoes. just remember when you are growing fruiting type plants that they like sun and you'll want to fertilize regularly with something especially formulated for fruits and vegetables. Strawberry pots are good for the berries because the fruits hang and don't get mold by laying on your soil but you don't need to have that kind of pot.

Good luck. Gardening is so rewarding. It can be frustrating at times but there's nothing as rewarding as going out to pick fresh strawberries for your breakfast or a tomato for your dinner salad.