Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jardinerowa

bought soil from pick up truck...problem?

jardinerowa
11 years ago

Hello,
I live in Mexico where buying soil for containers is not an easy thing to do. Most people either buy soils from the guys that come around the neighborhood in pick-up trucks selling dirt. I know that this dirt is not ideal for containers but sometimes it is the only option.
I already employ with the wicking technique and turning-pot-on-angle that we learned from Al to keep the PWT as low as possible but here is my problem.
The dirt I bought from this last guy I'm worried has NO nitrogen or very little and/or possibly no micros due to plant problems. Look at the pic and you can see that it has some dry leaves throughout the soil. The guys say they mix it themselves and but what if they messed up the pH or any nitrogen is locked up. The very top of the soil looks grey brown when dry.
I've sowed many seeds and while the cotyledons come up, most take forever to develop true leaves....I mean forever. The only ones that did seem to develop true leaves fast were the cosmos but they always seem to anyway. Maybe I try to find worm castings or something.
When I've fertilized I tend to see a shot of growth right away so I'm thinking nutrient deficiency.
I don't know if I will be able to get 5-1-1 mix here but I'm trying to get all the ingredients, I just have perlite so far lol. Thanks.

Z

Comments (5)