Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree with bent trunk

Posted by perennialfan273 zone 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 22, 12 at 14:43

I recently ordered an aglaia odorata (tropical tree). It was like this when it arrived. There's no doubt in my mind that I can turn this into a healthy plant, but this is not desirable to me (I don't know about everyone else, but when I think of trees, I think of something growing straight and upright). I have sent an e-mail to the nursery requesting a different plant. Do you think this is a reasonable request??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree with bent trunk

IMO it's not an unreasonable request but are you certain you want to return for exchange a tree that already has a somewhat natural bend already if your plan is to bonsai it ?

Now that I think about it I can see why your newly delivered tree would have that shops typical bend as they do keep them inside over winter nearly unattended at the south side full sun exposure side of there hot house.

o

Here are some pictures of the tree. As you can see, it is bent at the base of the trunk and will not stand up straight on its own. And yes I am planning on turning this into a bonsai but this is not the kind of bend I want my tree to have.

http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af165/mryan79266/

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 23, 12 at 9:21

The tree's trunk seems rather straight to me. If you want it more vertical, just stake it to the vertical. My preference is always to have some movement in the trunk, so bending the tree in a lazy 'S' so the crown is eventually over the roots would make a much more attractive tree that has some personality - as opposed to something that will eventually probably end up looking like a lollipop. Your tree is commonly sold as a 'Bahama berry' bonsai starter. I've seen dozens of these trees in collections as small trees. Those with straight trunks usually appear too stiff & formal to be natural. Those with curved or slanted trunks look more natural & appealing to the eye.

If I was considering the purchase of that particular tree, my eye would tell me the feature least appealing is its trunk, because it's too straight. Fortunately, the tree is so young that can easily be solved by either wiring or pruning.

In the end, it's YOUR eye that determines what pleases you, but training the tree to vertical would only take about 5 minutes.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here