Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melaroma

Id container plants

melaroma
12 years ago

I saw this amazing combo for a container garden and want to recreate it with the two plants in the container and the pink one below the container but am unsure of the names.

I think that the pink one is lantana, the purple an annual salvia and the lime green one is helichrysum but am not 100% sure. Can Anyone tell me the exact names? Thanks.

{{gwi:11802}}

Comments (10)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    12 years ago

The lime-green is Lysimachia nummularia 'Aurea' - or golden creeping Jenny; purple one may be pentas - not sure, but it is not annual salvia. You can use salvia for very similar color thou. Purple may be lantana as you said.

• melaroma
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for replying rina! I like the colors in this container but want to use plants that have a long blooming period so I am thinking of substituting the purple plant with a lobelia as a filler and using an annual bright pink such as snap dragons or lantana as the center piece. I am using the golden creeping jenny for sure!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    12 years ago

Yes, that color combo is really great. I personally like creeping Jenny in containers, it grows very easily & hangs down...some consider it nuisance (in ground), I use it for ground cover too (it's easy to get rid of if necessary). Fantastic with purple...You can get plants with purple leaves too (like Persian shield -Strobilanthes; even perennial groundcover Ajuga 'Black Scallop'- bugleweed)...oh, so many ideas...Rina

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    12 years ago

BTW, I just noticed typo in my first message; I ment "pink" (not purple!) may be lantana as you said...sorry. Rina

• odyssey3
    12 years ago

The pink plant is Pentas and the purple plant is Heliotrope.

• melaroma
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Odyssey, I also posted this on the perennials forum and they also said Pentas and Heliotrope and after googling it it seems that you are right. Thanks!

Rina, you just made the decision more difficult with all those options, lol. I like the idea of foliage that's purple as I wouldn't have to worry about not having blooms all the time. This is for the office I work at and I need a combo that will look great from start to finish!

Thanks guys!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    12 years ago

If this is for the office, make sure you get plants that don't need full sun - unless that is available in your location. Some will not bloom, grow leggy or loose the color of leaves you are looking for. I thought that you are planning on container outdoors. Rina

• melaroma
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry, I should have explained - They are for my "office" as in place of work but they will be outside at the entrance in full sun.

• odyssey3
    12 years ago

Great! I could play "guess that plant" all day--it's a favorite game of mine. :)

• perennialfan273
    12 years ago

I agree with odyssey3. The purple flowering plant is heliotropium arborescens. Most likely heliotrope 'marine'. When it gets humid during summer, you may notice a vanilla like fragrance. Enjoy it! The pink one is definitely pentas (most likely a pentas lanceolata cultivar), and the yellow is lysimachia nummularia 'aurea'.