Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Double-Posting: Dumbing Down (to my level) Gritty Mix Manufacture

Posted by ariel7576 7b (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 15:43

I posted the following in the Soils forum, but I suspect Al might see it more readily in here. Sorry for the double-post.

I generally like (perhaps undeservedly) to think of myself as a relatively intelligent person. Nonetheless, understanding the process of creating the gritty mix has been a challenge. I've read through the entire latest container soil & water retention thread and several of its cousins. Questions remain, so I'm hoping Al or one of his devotees will help me out.
My problem seems to centre on the screening. Each of the ingredients must be screened twice, correct, so that there's no "dust" and each particle is between ⅛ and 1 / 4 of an inch?

For example, the pine bark: Initially, screen it so that there's no "fluff" that is smaller than ⅛ of an inch. Then, of what does not fall through the screen, re-screen to remove anything larger than 1/ 4 of an inch.

Then, for the Gran-I-Grit, do you rinse it first, and then screen (that seems like it would be more difficult)? Or, if you get #2-size, is screening required? Again, the size of the particles should be between ⅛ and 1 / 4 of an inch, so you'd want two screenings.

Likewise for the Turface?

It has likely been addressed several times, but there are new members joining all the time, and people make have thought of something else since the last time it was asked, but, what do you do with all of the stuff you discard?

Thanks in advance for helping.
(Also, sorry, but the one-fourth symbol doesn't display correctly for me, so I added a couple of spaces.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Double-Posting: Dumbing Down (to my level) Gritty Mix Manufac

Hello, yes you have it correct :-)
Two screenings are required for the ingredients. With the granite grit, screen first and then rinse (right again). Turface and quartzite (my granite substitute), I toss over a piece of metal insect/window screen, and I keep everything else (since I've seldom found a piece of turface or quartz grit that was too large). The bark is the most tedious - I pass the bark over a 1/4 inch screen into a pond-basket (with perforated sides and bottom. This allows me to then shake and rinse out the fine bark dust.

Josh

o

Thank you.
I suppose I can go to Lowes or HD and tell them I want a bit of screen with the appropriate-size holes, or is it something I need to special order?

o

Metal window/door screen ought to be easy to find.
And for the 1/4 inch screen, a piece of 1/4 inch "hardware cloth" (which is metal) should be available at just about any hardware store.

Josh

o

Perfect! Thank you.

o

Thanks for asking these questions. As i was confused too.
I have been reading and reading to try to understand how to screen this stuff. It makes sense now.

Jenn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here