Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minigerdener876

Very Large Container On Deck? (Set up help)

MiniGerdener876
11 years ago

Hi,

First, excuse my name....that was supposed to be gardener....anyway I'm trying to think of the best way to set up my garden.

My garden will be a mix of one big raised bed planter and pots. These will both be in my deck so the planter is like an extremely large container. It will be 5.5' by 4.5' and 11" deep. Soil level might be a little less though. My problem is the set up of the planter. My first thought was to have a weed barrier on the deck and make slits where the boards aren't touching to let it drain there. Would this work and not rot the deck? I can waterproof seal the deck.

My second thought was to raise it a few inches off the deck and put fiberglass screen on the bottom to facilitate draining and as a bottom to hold in the soil. Would this work?

And the soil mix I'm thinking of using is 60% topsoil (the topsoil is full of bark though and very light. It's not really topsoil), 30% mushroom compost, and 10% peat. I'm growing tomatoes (Burpee Patio Princess), carrots, a lettuce mix, carrots, and garlic (as a companion to the tomatoes and I want to).

Thanks in advance!

Comments (8)