Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Very Large Container On Deck? (Set up help)

Posted by MiniGerdener876 none (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 16:34

Hi,

First, excuse my name....that was supposed to be gardener....anyway I'm trying to think of the best way to set up my garden.

My garden will be a mix of one big raised bed planter and pots. These will both be in my deck so the planter is like an extremely large container. It will be 5.5' by 4.5' and 11" deep. Soil level might be a little less though. My problem is the set up of the planter. My first thought was to have a weed barrier on the deck and make slits where the boards aren't touching to let it drain there. Would this work and not rot the deck? I can waterproof seal the deck.

My second thought was to raise it a few inches off the deck and put fiberglass screen on the bottom to facilitate draining and as a bottom to hold in the soil. Would this work?

And the soil mix I'm thinking of using is 60% topsoil (the topsoil is full of bark though and very light. It's not really topsoil), 30% mushroom compost, and 10% peat. I'm growing tomatoes (Burpee Patio Princess), carrots, a lettuce mix, carrots, and garlic (as a companion to the tomatoes and I want to).

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Very Large Container On Deck? (Set up help)

As an journeyman carpenter I will guarantee you that if your deck isn't made from preserved wood, and this is still no guarantee, your deck will rot. Not a matter of if but when. Waterproofing will help tremendously but just one tiny missed spot will give the water access. If your somewhat handy I can help you design it to prevent this from happening.

I highly suggest you read the link on container soils at the end of this post and following one of the recipes.

Here is a link that might be useful: container soils

o

Hi,

Definitely raise the pot a little from your deck to allow drainage water to escape from the bottom and dry out. Have you considered placing your pots on a trolley, (something with wheels on it so you can turn the pots around to give the plants an even exposure to the sun?)

o

I've lurked for awhile and I like it. The only problem with the recipe is that I can't find the turface or granite. I searched Lowe's, Home Depot, and TSC with no success. I also read that the vegetables I'm growing like constant moist soil. Does that not apply here?I'm also growing strawberries, mini roses, and mint in the pots.

o

I hadn't thought about the wheels on the pots before. I should be able to lift them though. They're normal sized pots, about 10 inches deep. If they're too heavy I will do that. Thanks!

o

How about a giant drip tray with off-deck drainage?

o

I wouldn't suggest the gritty mix (the one that uses turface/granite) on your deck due to the weight. I would try the 5-1-1. You might have to search for the pine bark, but almost everyone finds it at some store in their area (my Menard's and a local garden center both have it; I also found it in bulk at a landscape supply place but chose to go with bags instead). The 5-1-1 is very lightweight.

o

We're actually going to have to move it do to the weight. It would be around half a ton which is too much for the deck.

o

That is great mini...any time you add that much moisture to wood problems arise. Being constantly wet will rot just about anything.

Look forward to seeing pictures of the garden in the new location,

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here