Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pH testing

Posted by penfold2 4a, MN (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 29, 11 at 16:35

What do you guys use for testing pH? I need to check it because I acidify my water. I have a meter, but it is a pain to use because the value slowly increases, taking about 5 minutes to settle on a steady value. Then if I swirl it around, the value changes again. I don't feel very confident in its accuracy. Does it just need a new probe? Should I switch to test strips, or a reagent test kit?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pH testing

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 29, 11 at 18:04

I always suggest you get an inexpensive pond or aquarium test kit & use it to see how much vinegar or citric acid it takes to reduce a given volume of fresh tap water to something a little below your target pH. Your water will rise in pH as it gives gasses out dissolved CO2, so it's a little better to shoot low. After you determine how much it took, just add that much acid to that same volume of water, whenever you water. Inexpensive pH meters that can't be calibrated are extremely inaccurate, btw.

Al

o

Thanks, Al. I think I'll look for a test kit. Some of the aquarium ones don't go down to my target value of 5.8, but I see there are some wide range kits that do. As for the CO2 issue, I use a paint mixer to ensure CO2 equilibrium before testing, so no problem there.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 29, 11 at 21:22

Ah - you're 'all over it', I see. ;o)

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here