Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
penfold2

pH testing

penfold2
13 years ago

What do you guys use for testing pH? I need to check it because I acidify my water. I have a meter, but it is a pain to use because the value slowly increases, taking about 5 minutes to settle on a steady value. Then if I swirl it around, the value changes again. I don't feel very confident in its accuracy. Does it just need a new probe? Should I switch to test strips, or a reagent test kit?

Comments (3)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

I always suggest you get an inexpensive pond or aquarium test kit & use it to see how much vinegar or citric acid it takes to reduce a given volume of fresh tap water to something a little below your target pH. Your water will rise in pH as it gives gasses out dissolved CO2, so it's a little better to shoot low. After you determine how much it took, just add that much acid to that same volume of water, whenever you water. Inexpensive pH meters that can't be calibrated are extremely inaccurate, btw.

Al

• penfold2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Al. I think I'll look for a test kit. Some of the aquarium ones don't go down to my target value of 5.8, but I see there are some wide range kits that do. As for the CO2 issue, I use a paint mixer to ensure CO2 equilibrium before testing, so no problem there.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

Ah - you're 'all over it', I see. ;o)

Al