Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plastic container pots for fruit trees

Posted by Juliasun22 Rome, Italy (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 16:43

Hi, I am new to this site and forum, so bear with me! I have a large terrace and this spring have introduced several fruit trees, among them a fig and a persimmon, both already fairly tall (6 ft or more) spindly trees. I want to transplant them but all I have are large plastic pots (meant for terrace plants). Terracotta pots of the same size would be hugely expensive and quite difficult in terms of transport (I don't drive), so my question: is the plastic going to negatively affect the health of the fruit tree, or the fruit (should there be any) in any way? Is terracotta a better choice? Thanks very much for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plastic container pots for fruit trees

I love the terra cotta pots for trees because of their weight, but the plastic is fine as long as you fill the bottom of the plastic pots with alot of stone so your trees wont blow over.
Christine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here