Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soil for Container Gardening

Posted by melissaorozco6 RI (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 16:51

Hey everyone!

So I am planning a container gardening project for a class, but I am very inexperienced and was hoping to get some help. My group and I have been doing research and on many websites it says that we need to use soilless soil for better airing. Is this the same as Potting Mix?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soil for Container Gardening

Yes and no. In a broad sense, "soilless" means doesn't contain any of the dirt/soil you dig up out of your backyard. You definitely don't want to use any of that stuff.

That said, a very heavy, peaty, small particle "soilless" potting mix that you can buy pre-bagged from walmart isn't much better.

Short of building your own, my suggestion is to go to a dedicatedplant nursery, tell them what you need and hopefully they'll have a bag made specifically for containers composed of bark, peat, perlite and maybe a little compost.

o

Have you seen any bags if LGM All-purpose Potting Soil? That works.

o

Possibilities are quite few:
Big Box stores and nurseries are loaded with POTTING SOIL(mix). Miracle Grow has several kinds, Viagro .. and many more. Most of those are PEAT MOSS based with some perlite and may contain some UNKNOW ingredients, as they do not publish what is in it.

Now that you are here check out and read all about 5.1.1 potting mix. In a nutshell, it is a bark-based medium ( 70% bark fine), as introduced by AL(tapla). With this one, it can get pretty much involved, b/c you have to mix your own.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here