Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1/8 inch screened pine fines

Posted by joeworm nfl (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 5, 12 at 16:53

do the pine fines have to be aged or composted or will fresh ground pine fines be okay?

I screened pine fines with an 1/8" hardware cloth. half of what I screened ended up being less than 1/8". the remaining pine fines are an 1/8" to 5/16". Are the resulting pines fines, those less than 1/8" to dust, too small for the 5-1-1 mix? If so, 50% is a lot of waste!!

Can that less than 1/8" to dust be a substitute for the peat in the 5-1-1 mix?

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1/8 inch screened pine fines

Hey Joeworm,
If fresh is what you can find, that will work just fine.

You can go down to 1/16" without too many problems. Just be aware that the higher the percentage of small particles you have, the higher your water retention will be, and the higher the chances that your mix may perch some water. I personally use:

4-1/2 part pine > 1/8"
1/2 part pine between 1/16" - 1/8"
1/2 part turface > 1/8"
1/2 part turface between 1/16" - 1/8"
1/2 part perlite > 1/8"
1/2 part perlite between 1/16" - 1/8"

You certainly don't have to go about it this way, many people will just use everything > 1/16", however, with this "formula" I ensure that only ~20 percent of the mix is < 1/8" and will perch no water, plus it makes me happy, so, LOL! This is important to me because of my daily fertigation routine, however, depending on how often you want to water, and what the water needs of the plants you grow are, you could very will increase the percentage of particle < 1/8". I would recommend staying shy of the 1/3 mark, to ensure that your mix retains the drainage properties of the larger particles. So to use as much pine as possible, maybe try:

4 part pine > 1/8"
1 part pine between 1/16" - 1/8"
1/2 part turface > 1/8"
1/2 part turface between 1/16" - 1/8"
1/2 part perlite > 1/8"
1/2 part perlite between 1/16" - 1/8"

If you don't use turface in your 5-1-1, no worries. You can you peat of course, or if your looking to minimize your pine losses even more, just use what DOES pass through the 1/16" screen as a replacement for that fraction of the mix.

Have fun with it!

PJ

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here