Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woohooman

55 gal drums

Anybody use these by cutting in half and making 2 large containers? How do they hold up to the sun and 25 gallons of medium? How many years can I expect them to last in the inland coastal "desert" that is SoCal?

Thanks

Kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: click here

Comments (12)

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    11 years ago

I'm using them right now. Bought three 55 gal blue food grade drums last year, and cut them in half. Am using 2 halfs now, each with 25 gal of mix. Will fill remaining 4 halfs this year. Only first year using them, but they seem like they'll hold up great. Got mine for $10 each. Can't beat a 30 gal container for 5 bucks!! They look pretty good too.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

edweather:

Nice price! I know were on different sides of U.S., but where did you get yours? Maybe you can give me some ideas on where to search locally.

Thanks

Kevin

11 years ago

I put an add on Craig's list that I was looking for them. A guy that works for a car dealership takes home all the drums that had liquid soap in them for car detailing. All I had to do was wash them. I also saw some at a local car detailers shop. They also make white ones. They might be better for exterme heat and sun

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks edweather. I might try that myself. What did you use to cut them? Sawzall?

I can't believe there aren't more posters on GW that haven't used these drums. Especially with the prices of true planting containers. Sure, 5 gal home depot buckets for 3 bucks are fine, but they break so easily.

Kevin

11 years ago

I'm sure there are many methods that would work to cut them. A plain old crosscut saw rips through them easily, and it's easy to control as I worked my way around.

• pattypan
    10 years ago

since i use these half drums for root veggies, i've always bought food grade ones. they are partially buried, with many 1/4" and 5/8" holes for drainage and worms only. some are 3 years old here in Ct. and have no sign of deteriorating. i don't know what constant sunshine would do ! (they make great rain barrels too.) no sign of vole damage. i like the 30 gal. because i can tip over the half drums and spill out potatoes and sweet potatoes. not pretty, but useful.

• Need2SeeGreen 10 (SoCal)
    9 years ago

Pattypan, where do you buy the food grade ones?

Could I cut them with just an exacto?

Thanks!

• pattypan
    8 years ago

check craigslist for them. we used a sabre saw. to cut tops for rain barrels, drill a few holes to make a space for the saw to fit in. i drill plenty of 1/4" holes in the bottom of the half barrels. small holes keep out voles ! they are all still in good condition.

8 years ago

Yeah, they are pretty thick. An exacto wouldn't do it. But they are just plastic, and a regular handsaw rips through them pretty easily.

• bragu_DSM 5
    8 years ago

Those '55 gallon' drums are closer to holding 42 gallons. But still a nice sized container. Just make sure you have plenty of holes.

• Nil13 usda:10a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
    8 years ago

I use them for compost and they hold up well. Wrt the drainage issue, I have found that a paddle bit works the best. Don't mess around with little holes. Just drill some one inch holes.