Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
crittersgetting in my container

Posted by finchelover 5b-6 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 4, 12 at 16:55

How can I protect my plants in a ceramic oblong container
It has started alreadyis year is it the fertilizer in mix or what but I left a pot outside with the left over soil and something got in it and dug and dug,possibly coon or opossom. Any suggestions for protection

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: crittersgetting in my container

Hi;
I have problems with squirells digging - I use a piece of chicken wire cut to size to put over top of my planters. Cut opening the size of stem/trunk, or just put over & let plants grow thru the openings. Layers of mid-size pebbles/stones/rocks help too...

o

I would agree... cats, also, like to dig in pots and use them as personal restrooms, so if you have wandering neighborhood cats, chicken wire sounds like a good idea. The plants, depending on what type they are, should grow through without any problems. It's not that difficult to cut the wire, anyway, should you eventually need to remove it.

o

I always have some digging from the squirrels, but I can deal with that. I cannot use any fish emulsions or blood meal, at all or the raccoons will dig everything out of the containers. Al

o

I had a chipmunk that was digging in my containers. I had some scrap bird netting and I used that the wrap the container and the base of the plant. That seemed to have work. Also, I second putting rocks in the container next to already growing plants.

o

Mice and other small rodents can present issues, as well. I've had many a plant dug up and disturbed by mice. I've experienced a lot less issues since I changed to using a more gritty type of medium, but I think any kind of wire or netting will discourage any digging.

I think it also helps that I stick with chemical feeding for container growing, and save any organic fertilizers for the garden. I think Calistoga Al is right... small rodent type animals and pests like raccoons are attracted by things like blood meal, etc...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here