Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to use root hormone powder

Posted by maryartist 10b (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 17:26

Hello, fabulous community!

I'm considering buying root hormone powder so that I can create cuttings and get some from an old friend.

Questions:

I bet there's a step by step tutorial on these forums on how to propagate cuttings. Could you send me a link?

I wonder if this powder would help the roots of houseplants when I repot them. Is that true?

Is there a tried and true root hormone for most plants, or specific powders for succulents versus woody trees?

What's your favorite root hormone brand? Where do you find the best price?

Thank you,
Mary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to use root hormone powder

Cuttings are done differently depending on type of plant, so no one-size-fits-all tutorial is available. You can either look up correct propagation methods for the specific plant online or get something like the AHS's text on Plant Propagation or Ken Druse's Making More Plants.

Most commercial rooting powders contain the same product - a long scientific term usually shortened to IBA. And they are used similarly, most often as a dipping powder but sometimes as a liquid. It's just the concentrations that change. And you can make your own rooting hormone out of willow water - very inexpensive and just as effective.

FWIW, I would not use a rooting hormone on an established plant - that is not what it was designed for. There are some starter fertilizers that do have root stimulators incorporated but they are different form the rooting hormones.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here