Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spinach/Lettuce (How Many?)

Posted by brkieffner 5B (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 20, 12 at 17:34

Hello all.

I've looked in a lot of places and can't find any information that clearly states how many plants one should have to feed themselves a salad. I currently have two varieties of lettuce growing as well as one spinach plant in a window box. These doesn't seem to be enough at all.

I've heard about succession planting which is fine but how many plants should I have from the offset to have a nice salad?

Thanks for the help gals and guys!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spinach/Lettuce (How Many?)

• Posted by rina_ 6a Ont (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 20, 12 at 20:55

That is really very "personal"...how much salad do you eat? For myself only, I grow usually 4plants of red and 4plants of green, and min. 3rows of spinach. I start lettuce from seeds, 1 of each variety every 2 weeks - so I always have some ready to pick. Often new leaves start from the stem - I only get rid of stems after no more leaves growing. I also grow 4-5 var. of basil, chives, arugula, swiss chard (new leaves used in salad), also a malabar spinach-use only young tender leaves (fast growing climber, it looks nice in the garden).

o

I have 4 spinach plants each in a #1 nurserey pot. They seem to be doing well but I do not think they will give me too much.

o

Our family can, on average, go through 6 small heads of lettuce per week. None of us are vegetarians and one will only eat lettuce under duress. I agree with rina in that if you eat plenty of salads, you'll want to keep a steady supply of seedlings, slowly switching over to varieties that will tolerate heat better than ones you might think to plant now. If you have any pest problems, you might want to account for that also. That's one of the reasons that I still grow some greens in containers; if I keep them very, very close to the house, the deer probably won't eat them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here