Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soil for water loving plants?

Posted by Rozenkruetz none (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 17:54

I have some gotu kola and black pepper to repot and was wondering if anyone knew of any good soil mixes for these type of plants since they both love sitting in water. I tried Als 5-1-1 for one of my gotus and it crashed like a plane without wings.

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soil for water loving plants?

I use ProMix when I want more water retention. It's fine particles, but they don't compress too quickly, so they still let the roots get air. I find I get better foliage production and color in it vs. a bark-based mix. If there's a hydroponics store near you, they can probably special order it.

o
RE: Soil for water loving plants?

Well, 511 is a very well drained mix. But you can reduce pine bark and increase peat moss (make it 50/50) and eliminate perlite and replace it with Vermiculite. While perlite does not absorb any water, Vermiculite is highly absorbant. You might also want to try adding some Floor Dri (DE) which also retains a lot of water (almost 100% of its weight)

3-3-1 ( 3 parts pine fine, no nuggets, 3 part peat moss, 1 part vermiculite) This is just a conceptualiztion of a moisture retentive mix.

I am sure the experts will chime in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here