Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wickless Self-watering container

Posted by paulsiu 5a (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 18:13

Most of the self-water container I see consists of a cloth wick that draws water from a small reservoir beneath the pot. Recently, I notice the store also sells a self water container with no wick. Instead of a wick, the bottom of the container has a pit that dips into th reservoir. I am guessing that the idea is that the bottom of the pot is submerge in water and the capillary action takes the water up the soil. The design is simpler, but does it work? Wouldn't the plant grow downward into the water and rot?

Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wickless Self-watering container

Actually. Most of the ones I know about do not use a cloth wick. Check out Raybo's Earthtainer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Raybo's Earthtainer

o

Yes, I think I read that article before, they use some sort of plastic basket fill with planting medium as the "wick".

Recently, I removed a plant that had died and I notice the root was starting to try to grow into the reservoir. However, since the planter uses a wick,the root would have probably extend through th hole and got air pruned. If it was one of the non-wicking type, wouldn't the root grow into the water? Would that cause rotting? Would the planting medium rot if you use the soil-less variety?

Paul

o

The best type of wicking material is nylon string because it doesn't rot. Just thread the string through the soil and out the bottom holes of the flowerpot. You can float the string in a small container of water set next to the plant.

o

Here's wickless self watering container :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here