Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is silica rock the same as sand?

Posted by peebee1 10 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 22, 11 at 18:18

Today I was in a hydroponics store to special order the Foliage Pro and my attention was diverted to these bags of silica rock, I could not see inside but the outside said "medium" and I assume I could also order the large or small if I wanted.
I searched some posts here, but could only find references to sand.
Is the only difference the size of the particles?
BTW, of all places, they had bales of Pro Mix! And a months-long search on the internet had only pointed to special ordering them from a place several miles away, over an hours drive on the freeway. This store is 3 minutes from my house. Who would've thought?!

Thanks,

Suzie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is silica rock the same as sand?

Silica rock is diatomite, which is the fossilized remains of diatoms, a type of hard-shelled algae. As a result of this, it is very porous and lightweight. The tiny pores are capable of wicking water inwards, so it holds water like a sponge. It's similar to Turface or Hydroton, if you're familiar with those. Most people would use it for hydroponics, or for growing orchids or other epiphytes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here