Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomatoes in pots - how do you keep them from blowing over?

Posted by tomatotomata 10 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 6, 12 at 18:36

Last year my tomatoes got pretty tall, and then during a storm they fell over. Didn't kill them, but didn't do them any good, either. How do you keep yours upright? (also posted in tomato forum)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomatoes in pots - how do you keep them from blowing over?

I would suggest what we did up in Yreka and Weed, where the wind whistles down the valley...put the containers up within 'railings' of tightly-strung thin rope and clip the pot or cage to both ropes. Presto, pots stay up. Without a cage, though, I don't guarantee the plants will!

Hope that helps!

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 7, 12 at 14:32

I tie my cages to a steel stake or to the chain link fence in the back yard. When they top out at fence-top ht, I tie the vines along the top of the fence.

These are still young plants.
Photobucket

Al

o

I saw this product - Never Tip Pot Holders - at a local nursery where they were used to keep large ornamentals from tipping. (see link) I haven't used them myself, but I was there on a very blustery day and they sure did the trick.

Here is a link that might be useful: Never Tip Pot Holders

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here