Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
5-1-1 acid/alkaline question

Posted by jujustad Z8 western WA (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 24, 11 at 19:04

I am mixing up a load of 5-1-1 for my containers. I am putting a Japanese Maple in one (still very insecure about using gritty mix, had another failure and needed to get the JM out of the slop she was in before budding) and she needs an acid soil. I read somewhere on the forum that the 5-1-1 had a PH of 5.0 without the lime. Would you all advise that I add something to make the mix more acid for my JM and the flowers? Am I correct that I need to add lime to my veggie containers? I will be using FP fertilizer for all my containers. The frogs are starting to croak here!!!! It's one of my favorite things about Spring.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Julie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 5-1-1 acid/alkaline question

I've planted Japanese maples in mix very similar to the 5-1-1, and I've never had an issue.
Add the recommended dose of Garden Lime - 1 tablespoon per gallon of mix - and simply add white vinegar
to your watering solution periodically. It's far easier to adjust the pH of your water than it is to try and maintain
a specific soil pH (which is constantly changing, depending on temps, moisture levels, fertility levels, et cetera).

Josh

o

About how much vinegar and how often? Every time I water/ fertilize with weak FP? My water is a perfect 7. What does the lime do besides make the mix more alkaline? This is probably a loaded question huh :)?
thanks Josh,
Julie

o

In addition to slightly raising pH, the Lime is a source of Calcium, primarily.

Short answer, add a capful of white vinegar to a gallon of water as often as you think of it.

Long answer, take a gallon of water, add vinegar until your pH is between 5.0 - 5.8,
take note of that amount of vinegar, and then add the same amount to a gallon of water
whenever you water/fertigate.

Josh

o

thanks Josh!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here