Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
filix_gw

seedlings turning white

filix
16 years ago

I have sixteen sweet peas that I started in pure turface a month ago. They were doing fine but I noticed some leaves turning white. And the plants look more yellow now. I did some reserch and read it could be, too much sun, too much water, too cold, too much fertilizer, or not enough fertilizer. I have to laugh at myself, just when I think I'm starting to get a handle on things I go and prove myself a novice that I am. :( I waited untill they had six leaves before I added fertilizer. I put some dolomite lime on them. Very small amount, like puting salt on food. And have been feeding them with a very weak solution of dynagrow and chelated Iron mixed in rain water. I used a eye dropper to add fert. I know sweet peas like cold and I put them out as much as I can. Temp is always above freezing. They do get alot of sun either in my cold frame "when it's too cold out" or just outside. my thinking is to give them as much sun as I can while it's out. Sometimes we get two or three coudy days in a row.

I could be watering them too much. I wait until top is dry, then I mist with spray bottle, and try to see some coming out the bottom.

Maybe it's the dyna-grow 7-9-5. maybe I should be useing MG. The dynagrow has all trace elements. Thought that would be good.

I know the seed has nutients to give the plant a good start. But when the plant is sitting in pure turface, it's getting nothing.

I like the idea of useing turface for seeds because it drains so well. So helps prevent damping off.

maybe the chelated Iron is a bad Idea. I know it's not the small amount of dolomite lime. Because I have eight plants in yogurt cups, and eight in one big pot that I didn't add lime to. filix

Comments (3)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals