Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best tomato for a container ?

Posted by rane_grow 7 soMD (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 6, 10 at 19:17

Hi everyone ! I need some advice ! I am going to start a tomato plant from seed for a friend of mine who will keep it in a container on her deck so I would like to ask your opinion on which varieties of tomatoes do you think are best for a container ? Thanks !

~Iris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best tomato for a container ?

I liked Taxi (they are yellow), determ.

o

New big dwarf did good for me. 2 to 3 foot tall and the rugose leaves made a very nice plant to look at.

o

Whats the size of the container?

o
RE, RE: Best tomato for a container ?

Oh, OH, I just saw "on her desk" ????

o

I don't think she has the container yet, I told her to get the biggest container she can find ... at least a 5 gallon size, the bigger the better ... I probably have at least 50 different varieties of tomato seeds in my seed stash but so far none of the varieties mentioned so far ... oh boy ...

~Iris

o

Very good!
I grow a cherry tomat-o on my deck every summer. Last summer, it was Sweet 100 and Sungold.
I don't recommend growing two plants in one container, however. This year, back to one plant per pot.
I think I'm using a 15 gallon container, set in a durable, black plastic concrete-mixing tray.

I prefer a low acid tomato, personally.

Josh

o

I just bought an 18 gallon Rubermaid tote thing. I want to put a few of my Sungold maters in it. Y'all think 3 is too many or can I maybe even put 4 in it?

o

Iris,

Why not ask what you should buy your friend for lunch? It would give about as much info as your question (no, I am not being sarcastic, just realistic). How big is her desk? How much space does she want to donate to the plant? What kind of light will it get and for how many hours a day?

Mike

o

wordwiz

What does desk have to do with it ? OP said deck

o

I planted Containers Choice Red from Livingston Seed Co. this winter and grew them under fluorescent lights in containers. The tomatoes are very tasty and the plants grow well in a 5 gallon pot. The mature fruits are about as big as a baseball and bright red. The plants have very thick stalks and thick stems and they grow to about 24" tall. The tomatoes are very good flavored. Well worth the effort whereas the Tiny Tim tomatoes were horrible tasting and not worth the effort in my opinion.

o

My gf told me she would really like a red beefsteak type of heirloom tomato ... so is this doable in a container ? She is thinking about having a HUGE wooden planter box built on her deck ... Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and feedback so far ;-) I appreciate it .

~Iris

o

I would think as long as it's a big enough planter you can do pretty much anything as long as it's in a sunny enough spot. Needs lots of sun.

o

As long as she gets plenty of sun, any non-determinate of her choice will do well. Al

o

Try 'Patio' tomato - it grows well in a five-gallon container. For good taste and growth, try 'Terrific'.

o

This is my second year with Tomatoes in 15 gal pots. I live in Hemet which is really hot in the summer. But the best beefsteak varieties for me have been Brandywine OTV and Beefsteak. These are indeterminate. I have had good success with Siletz and Manitoba of the determinant varieties.

o

Last year I fell for the upside down tomato grower. I was not successful. This year I have fallen for The Earthbox. I'm going to use miracle grow potting mix. A friend has told me to add lime to the soil so I won't have end blossom rot. In the past in addition to blossom rot, last year some of my tomatoes turned very hard and developed a disease somewhat in the in the middle of the tomato. Please help!

o

Anyone try celebrity in a container? I bought some for my garden and was going to put one in a container for my girlfriend.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here