Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Earthbox soil type potting mix for best growth of vegetables

Posted by pectin 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 24, 11 at 19:32

I have a few choices to make. Use ProMix BX or FarFard Organic or Happy Frog� Potting Soil or Happy Frog Ocean soil. Prices are not much different. In the Promix I will probably have to add vermuculite and possibly some perlite + Dolomite lime and 10-10-10 fertilizers. They will be used in Earthboxes. Some tomatoes, okra, eggplant and other vegetables. For PromixBS I have to add vermuculite, perlite, dolotmite and fertilizier.. but the others I might not have to do so. Do I need to add vermuculite, perlite into the Happy Frog and Farfard potting soil as well. I was told you did not have to. Please advise. The fertilizer and soil are all according to Earthbox recommened media from their site. Why follow? As in the past I had done things like adding just regular topsoil... it did not do so well... got a lot of BSR on tomatoes but okra did well.. Thanks

which is then the best?
ProMix BX or FarFard Organic or Happy Frog� Potting Soil or Happy Frog Ocean soil

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Earthbox soil type potting mix for best growth of vegetables

I think they'll all stay more than moist enough without the addition of vermiculite.

But I don't have any recommendation otherwise.

Josh

o

I prefer Pro-mix but it's a preference thing. Something with good drainage and aeration.

o

I'd choose Promix, and I wouldn't add anything to it but fertilizer. The other mixes could cause problems with moisture retention in an Earth Box because of the organic additions. And they are unreliable nutrient sources in any container, so you'd still need to fertilize.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here