Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which is better? Containers/grow bags/self-watering containers!

Posted by aaaaaaaa 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 19:46

Hi,
I am confused to which of these is better for container gardening? Regular containers/pots or Grow bags or self-watering containers?
I have been growing in containers/pots and self-watering containers for quite some years now and would like to know if grow bags is any different/better than these, in terms of healthy root system, yield etc.
I did search in this forum, however did not find suitable query.
Appreciate reasonable response.
Thank you in advance.
Anna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which is better? Containers/grow bags/self-watering container

I don't think the kind of container you use matters as much as matching the container size, potting mix and location of the container to your environment. I've used all three kinds. My favorites are 20 to 25 gallon fabric containers using 5-1-1 mix and sitting in contact with bare earth. If you don't put them in contact with the ground so they wick to the earth, you lose a lot of the benefits. Search the phrase "site: gardenweb.com smart pots" on Google to find many of the previous discussions of grow bags.

o

Ohiofem, don't the fabric containers dry out ridiculously fast with a 5/1/1 and ground contact?

I'm WILLING to water a lot, but I have a job, wife, kids, and a life, I can't sit in the yard holding a hose all summer!

I guess I get nervous, since even a couple of the plants I had in MG Moisture Control mix last summer were wilting in a day and a half in the hot sun.

o

Hairmetal: I think we talked about your problem with those plants before. I don't know why you had a problem with them. But, as I said before, I don't normally have to water any of my plants in 5-1-1 more than once every other day. This goes for six-foot tall tomatoes in 25-gallon smart pots resting on the ground as well as flowering annuals in 16-inch hanging baskets lined with coco fiber. If it rains at least an inch, they can go three or four days without more water. If you make the 5-1-1 properly and you use a container that is big enough for the root system, you will not have a problem. 5-1-1 holds a lot of water. The ground doesn't suck it all out of the pot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here