Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Invasion identification?

Posted by redshirtcat 6a MO StL (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 20, 11 at 20:01

With the warm temperatures of late I've been taking my containers out during the day and bringing them back in at night. This has led to an explosion of pests - some of which I can't identify:

These are aphids, correct? These are on what I believe is an orange jasmine tree - but I'm not sure about that either - another hand-me-down

From Mar 20, 2011

These white egg looking things are in what looks like rotted wood that is staking a citrus tree - could these be termites?

From Mar 20, 2011

From Mar 20, 2011

These are near the cyclamen they look somewhat spiderish? I believe I've *had* spidermites before but I've never been able to see them like this. I do see some webbing on the cyclamen themselves and more of these little guys as the photos show:

From Mar 20, 2011

From Mar 20, 2011

From Mar 20, 2011

From Mar 20, 2011

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I think a water spray will work on the jasmine - and maybe those mites if they are mites - if the eggs are termites what should be done about those?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Invasion identification?

To me it looks like you have a aphid population that is growing everyday. It is true that they wash off with a strong spray if done regularly they can be controlled. I would rather use a superfine horticultural oil, especially on citrus which are also prone to scale which can be controlled with oil but not with water. Al

o

The cyclamen looks as if it has been kept too warm, too wet and possibly too dark which would make it more susceptible to aphids.

o

Well it thrived in the same location for about 2 months and looks like it's on its way out now. There's a white one right next to it that is still thriving so I don't know. I watered them both the same amount using a moisture meter and keeping them on the dryer side - they are in south facing windows with supplemental light - but the heat has recently been an issue. That is probably the problem - temperatures here have been around 70 during the day and warmer in the sunroom with the glass hrm...

Thanks Al & Florida I'll keep spraying them with the oil...

o

Since some of the pests that attack houseplants are so tiny and hard to detect until they actually become full fledged infestations, I keep a bottle of Schultz's 3-in-1 spray handy. It combats almost everything that can attack my plants. It's an insecticide/miticide/fungicide all in one application.

Outdoors, I try to do everything as organically as I can, except for dealing with the mole problem we have... but inside, I don't want to waste time trying things that might or might not work. I reach for the tried and true chemicals when it comes to the health of my containerized plant collection.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here