Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Asparagus in a Container

Posted by dgbeig SanFran -z10 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 23, 11 at 20:06

I've been growing vegetables for about 8 years and have been really wanting to grow asparagus.

Because I rent and have limited space, I have been able to control myself and have not planted it.
But I was ordering some other stuff and the deal was too good, so I broke down and bought some.

So, even though I might be able to find some space in the ground, I would prefer to plant in a container.
I searched for info on growing asparagus in a container, but only found a couple hits.

Has anyone here done this?
I know they need a deep trench, but I seem to have narrow and deep containers, or wide and shallow ones.
What type of container (short of a half barrel) might give me my best shot at some success.

Even if it is just a few spears (three years from now!!!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Asparagus in a Container

That would be very interesting. I was hoping that you'd get some answers

o
RE: Asparagus in a Container

Hi, i have asparagus in containers, i use 55gal barrels cut out in half. I had them in a regular pot and when i repoted them in to the 1/2 barrel i noticed how big the roots system is on these plants, so i think they need a lot of room to grow.
So i ended up with 2 plants in one barrel and 1 more in another one. I still need to repot one more i have in a 12" pot.
I have cut some spears already since the repot.
Let us know what you end up doing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here