Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kasperc2

New to Container Gardening & Seed Starting, Need a bit of Advice

kasperc2
11 years ago

Hey everyone!

Okay so I am very new to seed starting and container gardening, in fact this is my first garden. I've done a ton of research on ways to start seeds and grow in containers, but I've come across a few problems and wonder if there are any creative fixes using my tight college student budget.

I am experimenting, possibly a bit too much as I am seed starting earlier than I should, but so far most of it is turning out well.

Okay so for the questions... I have a 20 cell windowsill seed starter with a dome that has lettuce, peas, tomatoes, parsley, and peppers. The lettuce sprouts have come up just great, as well as the peas. The peppers are still a no show (been a week, to be expected), and the parsley is a no show yet (to be expected).

The tomatoes have sprouted but they seem a bit of a burnt red in color which seems weird? did they die? or have yet to mature? very odd...

Also my lettuce sprouts are beginning to lean to the sun towards the window, but I can't afford an overhead light yet, what's a temporary or long term fix? So far I just rotate them each day so they bend back and forth but I feel like that will make them weary, or am I wrong?

Also when is the best time to thin and transplant seedlings to small pots (before ground)?

Lastly, I bought a basil plant from a grocery store, put it in a bigger container, watered it, put it in the windowsill as well, harvested it, and now as it continues to grow, it just isn't looking so healthy, I know that could mean a lot of things but any basil growers have any tips?

Sorry for the long post but thanks! =)

Comments (3)