Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greendale_gw

Pine bark fines for gritty mix/511?

greendale
11 years ago

I have been using gritty mix for almost 1 year now. I just could not find a resource/ products for the pine bark fines. i was settled with reptibark although it is quite expensive for my budget. but after a couple incidents of thirsty plants, I realized that the reptibark is much larger than the mix required. (And it is, the barks all float to the top if I shake the mix in the pot/ or when I water it with a lot of water)

I have acquired a few plants in the winter that need repot deparately, and I set out for the barks hunting task again. I saw a timberline pine bark in bbs and remember somebody said it can be used. But after open the bag, it is different then a pine bark for the mix I had imaged. can anybody give me an opinion here, or if you know any resource that I can locate the pine bark fines/ or any product that is suitable for pine barks, it would be deeply appreciated. I live in Rhode Island , but places in west ct and ma would do too. Thanks a lot

This post was edited by greendale on Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 20:30

Comments (11)

• greendale
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Product bag

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    11 years ago

If you are looking for pine bark for the gritty mix you can probably get what you need from the Timberline product but you'll have to do alot of sifting to get between 1/4" and 1/8". It looks more suited for the 511 mix, and it also looks like the batch you got has alot of fine stuff in it, which isn't necessarily a bad thing if you need it. IMO the Timberline Pine Bark Mulch (sold at our local walmart) is at the lower end of the quality scale, but if you pick out the sapwood, what I see here looks pretty good. I might just add a little peat and some perlite and go with it. With any pine bark mulch, if I can't tell by eye and since looks can be deceiving to a novice like me, I usually sift small sample to determine how much fine stuff is already in it and go from there.

• greendale
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, I will pick out those sapwood, but still, I see a lot of fines in there and not sure they are bark dines or sapwood fines, I wanted to make gritty mix and did not find pine bark chips in there at all. Maybe I will just use this for 511. Any other product I should try for the gritty mix?

11 years ago

Just keep looking around....garden centers, big box stores, nurseries, etc. You'll eventually find a better source. Any Agway stores in your area?

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    11 years ago

I agree with Ed. I always keep a lookout for something suitable and make a note when I find it - even if I don't need it at the moment. That way, I have several potential sources. I've even found some excellent pine bark at retailers like Meijer, Lowe's, Home Depot, as well as various nursery/greenhouse/garden center ops. You're apt to find it under various names - 'landscape mulch', 'pine bark mulch', '[pine bark] soil conditioner' or 'clay soil conditioner', 'pine bark fines' ...... are just a few of the labels I've found on the packaging of suitable bark products. When I find something that's about exactly what I'm looking for, I'll stock up.

Al

• greendale
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Edweather, yes we have an agway store 1 hour drive away, last I went there they told they do not have pine bark fines, is there a specific agway product I should look for?
    I actually wrote down all the product names for pine barks from all the posts that people shared, but never find anything that looks suitable. like recently, somebody mentioned garden pro bark mulch, but I never see that in bbs in our area
    Again, thanks

11 years ago

Here's what I bought at an Ace Hardware near here. It's uncomposted........some people like partially composted. But besides that, it's the cleanest stuff I've seen. Good for either the 511 or gritty mix.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    11 years ago

Looks great!

Al

• nycgarden
    11 years ago

Hi Edweather,
    I was wondering how you managed to get your local Ace to order the Agway Pine Bark? I called mine and they said that if the vendor is an affiliate then they could order it. Agway was not listed as an affiliate.

Thanks,
    Dan

• greendale
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks a lot. I will take a trip to agway and show them the picture.

11 years ago

nyc......Well, I think the owner of the Ace also has an Agway store somewhere nearby. They didn't order it for me, they just stock Agway bagged products.