Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gritty Mix: "Quikcrete" Gravel instead of crushed granite?

Posted by whiteRhino 8b (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 21:11

I'm having a hard time tracking down poultry grit that isn't oyster shells. I did find a bag of Manna Pro Poultry Grit, but it's $20 for a 20lb bag...

Lowes sells a 50lb bag of Quikrete All-Purpose Gravel for under $4 that looks like a viable substitute. To my layman's eye is appears to be a very course sand...would this stuff work instead of granite for Al's Gritty Mix?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gritty Mix: "Quikcrete" Gravel instead of crushed granite?

Looks to be just a little bit larger than optimum, but if the price is right I don't see why you couldn't screen to gather the material between 1/16 and 1/4 inch.

Josh

o
RE: Gritty Mix: "Quikcrete" Gravel instead of crushed granite?

Have you tried looking at a landscape supply? I have no trouble finding 1/4 inch granite, which when screened, works very well in the gritty mix and only costs about $6 a cubic foot. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here