Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Massive Error - Over Limed

Posted by redshirtcat 6a MO StL (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 1, 11 at 21:18

Eyeroll. I prepared a small batch of 5-1-1 for the herbs I had started from seed and maybe for the peppers and a bunch of other things. Overall I have close to 6 gallons. About a week ago I had put together a batch of 1-1-1 as well - that batch was about 25 gallons.

Today when I double checked the forums to see how much lime to add to my 5-1-1 I saw that Al said 1/2-3/4c per 12 gallons or so. I did some math and decided that about 1.5c of lime would be good for my 5-1-1 mix.

Obviously I was thinking I had 25 gallons of that when I had only 6. I did not notice until it was too late.

Long story short: I already potted about 25 plants in a mix that has, maybe 4 times as much lime in it as it should. Can this be rectified somehow without having to repot? Do I need to repot these plants immediately and toss the soil? Can I amend it in some way so as not to waste it?

Ugh, such a stupid thing to do... annoyed with myself.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Massive Error - Over Limed

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 1, 11 at 22:41

I think you should repot into fresh soil, but save the spoiled soil. If you want, I'll do some quick calculations (or you can) and let you know how to use the adulterated soil as the lime fraction of the new batch.

Al

o
RE: Massive Error - Over Limed

If I used 6 gallons with 1.5 cups of dolomitic lime I would want to basically make 3 more batches without adding lime and then mix it all together, correct?

That would be 24 gallons with 1.5 cups of lime.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here