Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulsiu

Studies of air pruning container?

paulsiu
11 years ago

I was wondering if there are actually studies made of air pruning containers like air-pot. All I can find on the net are people who either say they work or the do not. I am looking for a more definitive study or review of the products.

Paul

Comments (5)

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

people who either say they work or the do not.

People who say they don't work ....... might not choose to grow the plants that can be grown in air pots OR they preference growing a wider range of plants in a standard pot.

Also a plant that can grow doesn't mean the plant will grow in a specific pot.

Down side:
    Air pots have limits to what type of plants they can grow and wouldn't work very well for an extended period of time for the plants that could be grown in them. Maintained and monitored In a full hydroponic growing situation the cultivating practice can become more demanding than that of standard pot growing

Plus side:
    Off the top of list easier to maintain in air pots are semi terrestrial and aquatic plants that would do well in an air pot growing environment.

Nutrual side: Some extended plant choices are possible if the increased cultivating demands of an air pot growing environment are met but as amount of plant choices increases the same increases in maintaining of the air pot environment becomes more demanding by each plant type grown an air pot.

If there is a hydroponic growing portion in GW would perhaps be a better guide for you if interested.

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    11 years ago

I have used smart pots, which are fabric air-pruning containers, for four years and really like them. See: Academic Studies on Fabric Containers.

For studies of air pots specifically, see: Superoots in the Media

• emgardener
    11 years ago

Interesting studies, thanks for posting.
    Comment on root pruning 2" from the container wall was new info for me.

Read the Texas study in detail. One comment is that with 2 spray spikes fertigating 5 minutes 2x per day, the peat based containers would have been a soggy mess. Also lots of ground runoff.

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    11 years ago

Did you also notice this in the conclusion: "Smart Pots produced larger roses than conventional rigid black plastic containers, with the largest plants being produced under these conditions in a pine bark-based substrate in a fabric pot." (The two potting mixes used were the "peat-based commercial potting mix, Sungro SB 400" and "conventional 4 pine bark: 1 peat moss: 1 sand substrate." And note that even the Smart Pot with a peat-based mix outperformed a plastic pot with a bark-based mix.) That's one more thing that convinced me to use 5-1-1 in Smart Pots for my vegetables.

• marc5
    11 years ago

Paul, I can't point to any studies independent of manufacturers, but I have been experimenting with RootMaker propagation containers for starting trees. These are the small 25 cu. in containers--only one season so far. Too many variables last year, but one observation is that with all the openings, they require much more active water management than traditional containers. With several hundred in a high tunnel, I am setting up a automatic misting system to water several times a day. Too much labor otherwise. Last year my mix was a recommended peat/perlite mix. This year I will use mostly 5-1-1 and PB/compost.

Marc