Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Al's 5-1-1 Mix w/Palms

Posted by earthworm73 WA z8b (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 13, 12 at 21:34

Anyone wanna share their experience with using Al's 5-1-1 mix with palms? After reading some of the good reviews if the 5-1-1 mix I think I am gonna use it for my containerized palms (outdoor) but I haven't read anyone who said they were using it for palms.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Al's 5-1-1 Mix w/Palms

bump

o

I do.

I actually saved my Palm with this mix. Now I am just waiting for it to grow. It'd a Kentia which I paid 50 dollars for and couldn't afford to loose.

Mike:-)

o

mike I am assume it was suffering from root rot? If so what was the symptoms? All of my palms in pots that are waiting to be put into the ground have been re-potted into a quasi 5-1-1 mix. I've got a few smaller ones that will stay in pots for another year and that later on this summer I'll up pot into a mix I saw another contributor here on container gardening used with his peppers. I think he used bark, pumice and perlite. He called it gritty 5-1-1 I think. I'll prolly use 4 parts uncomposted bark and 1 part composted bark fines, 1 part pumice and 1 part perlite. I think they will enjoy that mix.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here